Need opinions and tips on starting a '67 fastback resto - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Need opinions and tips on starting a '67 fastback resto

Hey everyone, I'm almost 100% set on buying a '67 fastback for me and my father to build. I've done a bit of research on this and know I haven't even begun to scratch the surface. The reason I want a '67 fastback is because my father was born in 67 and he got me my first car (93 cobra) since I was born in 93. I understand it's a huge investment of time, money, heart and soul but you just can't beat wrenching with your dad! He doesn't know about any of this and I want to suprise him on Christmas. I plan to spend around 6k to get the car and want advice on where to search (preferably south), what to look for good or bad when in person, etc. I really look forward to seeing what you guys have to say and if you have stories about restoring similar cars I wanna hear em or post up a link! Thanks
93cobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It's tough to give a short answer. 6k will be tough for a fastback. It'll depend on how much you want to do after. Rust is your worst enemy, floor pans, trunk floors, front frame rails, rear leaf spring mounts and cowl vent leaks. At that price your best bet would probably be a a disassembled frame off, where all the rust has been repaired and replaced after sandblasting. Then start from scratch. It'll take a longer time to get to driving, but it'll be a better car. It's tough to buy a car that's stripped to nothing. Bottom line - engine, drivetrain and interior are easy things, fighting hidden rust and weak metal is a constant pain. Go for the best body even it's doesn't come with an engine and tranny. Good luck!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I agree 100%. Take your time and try to find a project shell that someone has already started and couldn't finish. The rest of the add ons are not that hard to find and very affordable. A clean body and frame are not.

I've seen an Eleanor shell fastback around my area for around 12k unfinished. Just take your time. I've had my fair share of problems with my 67 fastback and I should have been more careful.
All I can say is don't trust anyone....ever.
You know what they say? Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see!

Good luck.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I am hoping to find a roller for around 6 I know there no way or a driver. Is there anyway to get a clean title if the car has no title? I live in Missouri and know some state laws are different but in general is that possible?
93cobradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93cobradude
I am hoping to find a roller for around 6 I know there no way or a driver. Is there anyway to get a clean title if the car has no title? I live in Missouri and know some state laws are different but in general is that possible?
Be real careful about titles with an owner and a previous owner on it. In Texas you're supposed to a title with the person you're buying from on the title, not 2 or 3 owners ago. Depending on MO a bill of sale may screw you, the it's only good for racing. Call the registration office and ask about salvage title or bill of sale and what's involved with getting a clean title. It can become a huge pain and some more cash to fix.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
'67 is my dream car. You might get lucky and find one for 6k.. Doubtful though. I've looked for years. Best I've found was a car that probably should have been a parts car for 8k. I have seen rollers for 10. Good luck. Keep us posted. Would love to see your build.
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm sure you can, but I would stay away from that option (no title). You are not in a rush and it's the off season soon which equals lower prices. Just wait for a simple and clean deal.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs