429 or 351c - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
429 or 351c

thinking about getting a 429 to put in my 73. its has the fmx now, planning on putting in a t5 someday. any thoughts? should I leave it with the 351c? my current 351 is not in real good shape, ide need new heads and the cylinders to be bored out a bit so I figured it would be better to just get a new engine all together. is it worth changing over to a 429? will my accessories bolt up? anything I'm not thinking about? I'm aware that a heavier engine will incurre a slight loss in handeling but I figured that since a 2000 lb cobra could handle a 427 just fine why not a big 73 coupe.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

*bump*
Old 10-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I doubt all accessories would bolt up. But unless the 429 was recently rebuilt you may in the same boat.
The weight of the 429 was almost half the weight the car and it has such a short wheel base. I don't think you can compare 73 to a cobra.
You're car could handle the 429. It just may need handling tweaks.
You might be able to get some cash for the Cleveland. People want those over windsors.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
thinking about getting a 429 to put in my 73. its has the fmx now, planning on putting in a t5 someday. any thoughts? should I leave it with the 351c? my current 351 is not in real good shape, ide need new heads and the cylinders to be bored out a bit so I figured it would be better to just get a new engine all together. is it worth changing over to a 429? will my accessories bolt up? anything I'm not thinking about? I'm aware that a heavier engine will incurre a slight loss in handeling but I figured that since a 2000 lb cobra could handle a 427 just fine why not a big 73 coupe.
I'd stick with the 351C. Those cars are already front heavy and the 429 will just make it much worse. Properly built the 351C can produce a lot of power and it can be bored and stroked out to close to the same cubes. Plus you will devalue the car replacing the original engine with the 429.

P.S. The engine in the Cobra is an FE engine not a 385 series and you can make a 427 out of a 351W these days with the correct block and stroker kit.

No, the accessories will not bolt up, not 100% sure, but I don't think the transmission will fit either. I forget which bolt pattern it has?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I like Ur idea converting a 351w to a 427 and being fuel injected would work toward my ultimate goal of a retro-mod.
As far as value goes, to me, this is my dream car because it was never popular enough to really be worth much in original condition so I feel free to modify it how I want it. Also, I don't intend to ever sell it.
I would never bore out a Cleveland unless I had to, those cylinder walls are already so thin.

Thanx for the input guys!
I'd love to hear more.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
I like Ur idea converting a 351w to a 427 and being fuel injected would work toward my ultimate goal of a retro-mod.
As far as value goes, to me, this is my dream car because it was never popular enough to really be worth much in original condition so I feel free to modify it how I want it. Also, I don't intend to ever sell it.
I would never bore out a Cleveland unless I had to, those cylinder walls are already so thin.

Thanx for the input guys!
I'd love to hear more.
You must be misinformed about the Cleveland. The 302 is the one with the really thin cylinder walls.
You can safely bore the 351C to .040" over with a maximum overbore size of .060" recommended.

351C Stroker Kits & Projects
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You must be misinformed about the Cleveland. The 302 is the one with the really thin cylinder walls.
You can safely bore the 351C to .040" over with a maximum overbore size of .060" recommended.

351C Stroker Kits & Projects
Oh that's not too much, guess I don't know how much I would have to bore it to be get 427. Seems like it would be more than that.

EDIT- now that I've read the article, it makes more sense.
And since I would like to use this t5 Tranni I have, looks like 351 is the way to go.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

So i just got a 400 big block to put in the 73. It came with a c6 for 4x4 so i need to sell it and get a c6 for 2wd. What should i do about engine and tranni mounts? Im on a strict budget so if i can get mounts from another car that would be ideal i think. Also what mods should i do to the c6?
Now i know you are wondering "why 400?!" So i was browsing craigs list and some guy wanted to trade an edlebrock intake for this engine he didnt need and i had one that i was going to put on my broken 351 after i fixed it but why do that when i can get a good working engine besides the intake on the 400 was the identical edlebrock that he wanted -- shhhhhhh! So i was happy to oblige! The 400 is basically a 351 with a longer stroke and only an inch or so taller in the deck so i figured the engine mounts would be the same. But they arent. So i now have a good engine with lots of torque, i just want your thoughts on how to mount it and whatever else comes to your mind.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
you have another issue with the 400 as well. it also has the 460 bell housing bolt pattern, and not a small block one. the 400 can be built into a real screamer if that is what you want. you might check the 460 engine mounts, i think they will work on the 400.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
I doubt all accessories would bolt up. But unless the 429 was recently rebuilt you may in the same boat.
The weight of the 429 was almost half the weight the car and it has such a short wheel base. I don't think you can compare 73 to a cobra.
You're car could handle the 429. It just may need handling tweaks.
You might be able to get some cash for the Cleveland. People want those over windsors.
I agree no comparison at all. I'd have to build a new suspension. How much is the 429
sean5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yes thats why i need a c6 with the big block bolt pattern, it currently has an fmx.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

What you need to do is find a 351 cobra jet

It's a 351c with a 4 brl last year made was 73 i believe not too sure. not a high horsepower but a great starting point very hard to find tho
Old 06-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean5.0 View Post
What you need to do is find a 351 cobra jet

It's a 351c with a 4 brl last year made was 73 i believe not too sure. not a high horsepower but a great starting point very hard to find tho
In the 70's they starting using bHP instead of at the flywheel like in the 60's. so it might not be low like you are led to believe.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

In the 70's they starting using bHP instead of at the flywheel like in the 60's. so it might not be low like you are led to believe.
Oh true! I forgot that yea so it may be a bit more.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs