Low Oil Pressure - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Low Oil Pressure

My '66 does not leak oil, however a small unnoticeable amount seems to seep out of the breather filter. After not having driven it in a couple weeks (due to poor weather conditions), my oil pressure was down to around 30-40 psi. Normally it's around 60-80. I checked the oil and sure enough: low. I added two quarts (I have a seven quart capacity (racing oil pan)), and that seemed like a lot of oil to be adding. I changed my oil about 2000 miles ago in June. Is this normal? How much oil does the average 302 burn in six months?
Chaunceton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Well my 302 burns oil a good amount to I have no idea what it could be so if you find out let me know lol hahah
Old 12-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Have you pulled you plugs to see if they are oily? You may be getting blow by. You might be getting more than you think from the oil breather. But it doesn't make sense that it would lose oil just sitting there without any obvious pan or valve cover leaks.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Right, and I was thinking there's no way that 2 quarts of oil have seeped through the breather in six months. I'll check the plugs and see what they tell me.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont
Check the number 8 cylinder it's usually the culprit.

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang97 View Post
Check the number 8 cylinder it's usually the culprit.
Why's that?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I would make sure you pcv system is working. Make sure all the hoses are hooked up right and that the pcv valve is working. If not the system could be backed up and flowing the wrong way causing oil to get into your carb and make it look like your burning oil out the tail pipe. If not that it may be your valve seals leaking (you can't see this from the outside of the motor). Checking your spark plugs won't tell you where the oil is coming from though, just that your burning oil.
Bravebowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:29 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You have to start somewhere, if you're not burning oil then it's leaking, if you're burning it then you have to further investigate. Pulling plugs is one of the simplest things to check and easy. Then move forward with more complex checks.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Spun rod bearing?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravebowhunter View Post
I would make sure you pcv system is working. Make sure all the hoses are hooked up right and that the pcv valve is working. If not the system could be backed up and flowing the wrong way causing oil to get into your carb and make it look like your burning oil out the tail pipe. If not that it may be your valve seals leaking (you can't see this from the outside of the motor). Checking your spark plugs won't tell you where the oil is coming from though, just that your burning oil.
Next time I have it out of storage to work on (hopefully this week or next) I'll inspect and clean the PCV. What is best to clean it with? Throttle body cleaner?

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Spun rod bearing?
What do you mean exactly?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaunceton View Post
My '66 does not leak oil, however a small unnoticeable amount seems to seep out of the breather filter. After not having driven it in a couple weeks (due to poor weather conditions), my oil pressure was down to around 30-40 psi. Normally it's around 60-80. I checked the oil and sure enough: low. I added two quarts (I have a seven quart capacity (racing oil pan)), and that seemed like a lot of oil to be adding. I changed my oil about 2000 miles ago in June. Is this normal? How much oil does the average 302 burn in six months?
Have you done a compression check on all the cylinders? There are only two ways to loose oil that I know of and someone already said them a leak or burn it. If there are no oil marks under the car and none on the frame or blow back then you are burning it. Simple checks to start

Check plugs for signs of burning oil
Check PVC to see if it is plugged and causing blow back into the engine
Check vacuum lines
Check radiator for signs of oil
Check compression
Look at tail pipe if it is black and not sooty with more of an oily feel
Is there any smoke at start up if so what color White is water vapor Gray is oil and Black is to rich
Check Tranny fluid
Is there an opening in the bottom of the Bell housing to see if the oil is getting in there from a bad rear seal

Good luck

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Vermont
I'm not sure why the number 8 cy.l is weak maybe more heat in that area? But I know of a few guys that have problem with that cyl.

02 GT 5 spd. Best 1/4 12.28 @ 112mph
67mustang97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaunceton View Post

Next time I have it out of storage to work on (hopefully this week or next) I'll inspect and clean the PCV. What is best to clean it with? Throttle body cleaner?

---------- Post added at 08:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

The rod bearing maybe spun bc my friends Chevelle and his oil pressure took a nose dive and started using oil and it was a spun rod bearing
Old 12-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaunceton

Just some break cleaner would be good it's safe on rubber metal and plastics
Bravebowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
PCV valve is inexpensive enough that you should just replace it. I've never cleaned one.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
PCV valve is inexpensive enough that you should just replace it. I've never cleaned one.
Good to know man thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs