O'Reillys - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
O'Reillys

So here's the quick version. I go to the store to buy shocks and the counter guy says base model or Shelby. Base has 2 barrel carb n Shelby has 4. I tell him it's not a Shelby but according to the vin it's a 4 barrel. Not sure what this has to do with picking shocks so I ask " well don't the shocks work on both models, he says no. So now I'm not sure which set of shocks to buy. Anyone have suggestions?
iStang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Did you compare the two? Maybe they say no but the parts are identical?
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

They looked similar to me. Only difference I noticed was the extended and compressed length
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Here are the two shocks
Attached Images

Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Have you done any research on your own before asking them? I like to look for myself first then go in with a part #.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
Have you done any research on your own before asking them? I like to look for myself first then go in with a part #.
Haha. To be honest I didn't. I didn't think there was a process looking for some OE replacement shocks but now I know
Old 01-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #7
Regular
Supporter

You can go to their site and do your own research. That way when you walk in the door you can just tell them what you want instead of going through all the BS there.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You can go to their site and do your own research. That way when you walk in the door you can just tell them what you want instead of going through all the BS there.
Please explain. I've looked up my car but it always comes to the option of a base model 2 barrel or a Shelby 4 barrel and like I mentioned above, it's not a Shelby but does have a 4 barrel so I'm not quite sure how to pick the exact parts on their site based on my car
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #9
Regular
Supporter

Well you can slap a 4 barrel on anything so you probably have a base when it comes to parts. Doesn't sound like that big of a deal.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well you can slap a 4 barrel on anything so you probably have a base when it comes to parts. Doesn't sound like that big of a deal.
See that's how I was thinking. Then when he said both models had different shocks, didn't know what to do
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It's probably the way their database sorts the cars, it uses the carb difference to get to the correct engine as well as other parts. The difference is between Shelby and regular Mustang. Sometimes those keyboard monkeys don't explain or probably can't explain the differences.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStang65 View Post
So here's the quick version. I go to the store to buy shocks and the counter guy says base model or Shelby. Base has 2 barrel carb n Shelby has 4. I tell him it's not a Shelby but according to the vin it's a 4 barrel. Not sure what this has to do with picking shocks so I ask " well don't the shocks work on both models, he says no. So now I'm not sure which set of shocks to buy. Anyone have suggestions?
Try here for your shocks. They specialize in Mustangs and I have had good luck ordering from them.

Shocks & Struts :: Suspension & Handling :: Mustang Parts & Accessories Superstore - 1800Mustang
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Do you think the shocks might be diff because of the engine difference? Same length, just one stiffer than the other. Should be different, small block/big block. I'm sure my shocks have another rating cause I got a 390, compared to someone with a 289/302.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #14
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I believe they are all interchangeable for 65-66. I asked for stock shocks at NPD and the guy only asked if I was OK with aftermarket replacement. "Heavy Duty" suspension came on Shelby and was option on V8's. '65 and early '66 Shelby's had very expensive Koni shock absorbers.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
I believe they are all interchangeable for 65-66. I asked for stock shocks at NPD and the guy only asked if I was OK with aftermarket replacement. "Heavy Duty" suspension came on Shelby and was option on V8's. '65 and early '66 Shelby's had very expensive Koni shock absorbers.
Ok thanks. So is it safe to say most suspension parts are interchangeable, because I'm going to need springs, up and low control arms
Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Spring rates determine stiffness for handling but most springs are made for V8's and will work. Upper and lower control arms arm are same story. You don't want any six cylinder parts like steering or spindles, they are unique and weak. Any performance stuff you see for 65-66 will work. Shelby style parts work too because he only upgraded stock or modified geometry.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
Spring rates determine stiffness for handling but most springs are made for V8's and will work. Upper and lower control arms arm are same story. You don't want any six cylinder parts like steering or spindles, they are unique and weak. Any performance stuff you see for 65-66 will work. Shelby style parts work too because he only upgraded stock or modified geometry.
Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs