Blower vs supercharger vs turbo on a 1967 mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Blower vs supercharger vs turbo on a 1967 mustang?

i have a 1967 289 mustang and i am wanting to put something in it for a little more punch...so i was wondering which is better blower...supercharger...or turbo...and if you could try to gimme sum likes for the prices as well thanks so much
wilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

the 1965 throw 1968 have an deal add on you could get in the GT and GTA, and they where Paxton supercharger with a pressure pot over the carb, and they only made 100hp and fit nice under the hood, and made littil to no noise so you didnt even know it was there tell you open the hood
moreley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There are 3 different types of superchargers not 2. There is the roots type (eaton, roush), the centrifugal type (paxton, vortech), and the twin screw type (kenne bell, whipple). The roots type gives you great low end and mid range power, the centrifugal works a lot like a turbo charger and gives you great high end power, but not very much low and mid range. The twin screw gives you great low and mid range power, but not as much high end. The difference between the twin screw and roots is that the twin screw has more displacement so it will always be able to give you more hp and tq with less boost. This is good because the more boost you have to use, the more stress that is on your supercharger. The turbo charger gives you awsome high end power but not as much low and mid range, it is also more expensive generally then superchargers and takes more to install and maintain. As far as hp output though, turbo chargers will give you more hp then any of the superchargers will. Basically, it depends on what you have to spend, and what you are looking to do with your car. If you are just looking for more speed and are not looking to spend a lot of time at the tracks then I would go with a roots type supercharger. They are the least expensive and still give you awsome performance where you need it for the streets. In the low and mid range areas. You will get between 100-150 additional hp. You can pick one up for anywhere between $1,000-$3,500. I do not know what fits on your mustang, but for instance for $1,000 or less, you can buy a used eaton supercharger off a 03/04 cobra owner who is selling it because he is going to put a twin screw on his cobra. If you are looking to spend a little more money and want some serious speed, then I would buy a twin screw type supercharger. Take a look at kenne bell or whipple. If you type kenne bell superchargers or whipple superchargers in any search engine it will take you straight to their home page. This will cost you around $3,500 to buy and $5,000 to have installed. You will get between 150-300hp from these depending on your tune, octane of fuel, and pulley size. If you plan to race competitively at the track, or have a lot of money to spend, then I would go with either a single or twin turbo. Halion (spelled wrong) makes a great turbo charger. You will need to buy a lot of supporting equipment and have it professionally installed. Expect to pay around $10,000 from start to finish. You will be able to get huge amounts of hp though. This will give you more hp then anything else.
I did not mention the centrifugal superchargers because they are not my personal choice. I know a lot of people at the track have them and would tell you they are the best though. They dont give you that "punch" off the line but kick in tremendously at the high range. Vortech and procharger are the 2 companies that I have seen mustang owners get tremendous results with. Have fun brother.
stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Don't just throw a charger onto that engine, you need at least to re-ring it first. Also chargers of all kinds love 8:1 compression ratios for good efficiency.
Building a good 351W would give you better results with the same amount of deprieciation for your 67 being unstock.
If you have 5000 for a charger system, then you could also go small crate 302 blocked engine like 306,330,347, 357, a 351W based stroker 370, 390, 396, 406, 408, 420, 427, 430, 454... You can get any of these sizes from mild to wild and many differant builders. The mild costs about $3500 and up, then the wild starts about $5000. If you took a 351W stroker and put 10:1 compression you would have easily 450 hp with as much or more torque, and that's mild but streetable...
bagwunagijik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Go to Summit Racing or Jegs for pricing on a Wiend (say Why-and) or Vortec centrifical type pump, further, whatever mfr you choose should have details on horsepower increase.
gabrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Tell us more about this Mustang. Is it a fastback or convertible? And is this the original 289? If it is the original engine, and it is a convert or a fastback, then you should probably change it out. Keep that engine on a stand in your garage. Get yourself another 289, or 302 to play with. That way if you grenade the block, the loss won't be that great. 67 mustangs don't have vin numbers on the block, they are matched by date codes on the block, but it still would be a pain in the butt to try and find a block with the right date code.
Once you get your 289 or 302, keep the installs to bolt ins that are easily reversible. You won't be damaging your investment then. I would recommend, like everyone else, you go with a paxton that won't look out of place in that engine compartment. Restomods are hot right now, as long as they are done right and tastefully. If you keep your original engine, your mods might add value to your car. (and if not, you can bring it back to stock when you go to sell it)
espowyes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

A blower and a supercharger are the same thing.

Don't do either, that car is a classic, keep it as original as possible if you want to maximize its value.
gerrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

the engine and fuel system makes a lot of difference, the original Shelbys used a Paxton supercharger with a pressure pot over the carb like the T-birds used in 57

http://www.superchargers4less.com
skah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:23 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Both the supercharger and turbo are great add ons, it all depends on ones preference. Just be sure your engine is prepped to handle the boost. I purchased my kit through Joe Blow Racing and the cost for it was about $ 1900. It's a Paxton Novi 1000 unit and i have been pleased with it so far.
The salesman was very knowledgeable about the product he was selling and if you go the s/c route i'd highly recommend giving them a call.
Don't forget about prepping the carb for blow thru application and make sure to step up on your fuel system. I'll drop the link to JBR as well as a couple for carb mods. Good luck, any questions feel free to email me!
columbanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well a supercharger and blower are the same thing. There are just 2 different kinds of superchargers. First is the roots type which is the "blower" style that sits where the manifold normally goes, and then there is the centrifugal supercharger which looks like a turbo without the exhaust side. They pretty much work the same way using a pulley driven by a belt attached to the accessories of the motor to generate boost. Then the turbo uses the exhaust gasses to spin the impeller generating boost. On newer higher reving cars the turbo is the way to go, but on your car being a "V" series style motor you really need the twin turbo setup allowing for equal boost from both sides without causing turbulance problems from unequal length air tubes. The roots type superchargers run between $1,500-$3,500 and generally add 85-125 HP at the wheels, and the centrifugal style run between $3,500-$4,000 and add between 115-250 HP, and the twin turbo kits are about $5,000 but the boost is pretty much adjustable by the wastegates and as long as the internals are strong enough can add 150-300 HP.
archibald is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1967 mustang