I feel so awful about...? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I feel so awful about...?

My best friend restores old cars mostly Mustangs and have a big collection. When ever he gets done restoring them he always give me a key to the car just in case I ever want to drive it (I have 27 keys). I wrecked a 1967 Mustang Shelby GT 500 the other day when I hydroplaned on the freeway when it was raining. I totaled the car and I feel so awful about it. He's not mad or upset at me and told me that he's just glad that I didn't get hurt and that a car is replaceable but a best friend isn't. I offered him cash and to help him restore another one but he refuse to take anything from me. Today he called me and told me to come get any car I want but I just can't do it. He pumped alot of money into that car and I jacked it up. How can I try to pay him back?
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Your friend is probably one of the most UNDERSTANDING people I've heard about. Your guilt is your own. He has already forgiven you. You need to do the same. But maybe this will be a lesson to you: even the most careful of drivers can steer into a confounding of circumstances from which you can't escape (even if you're the most careful driver on the planet, that doesn't account for OTHER'S driving habits.) Seriously, were those the BEST weather conditions to be driving in? Choose your driving conditions with a little more discretion.

Perhaps in a show of good faith you should return the keys so that you have to ASK to drive any of his vehicles. While I'm sure it will feel both to him and you as a formality, perhaps the fact that you have to ask for his permission will help allay some of the guilt you feel.

Or... why don't you offer some of your services to him as an apprentice so you can learn some of the skills he has and help restore a vehicle together? I think that gesture would speak volumes more than "Here's some money. Sorry I totaled your car." And the reason WHY that holds more sway is because it's NOT the simple fix and it involves a great deal of commitment on YOUR part to make good on your word and repay the damage you've done. You must be SINCERE in your offer to be his grunt and learn from him, though.

The fact that your friend can see the car as "just stuff" is a rare ability in humans. Most humans become very attached to their possessions but he's managed to not lose sight of the fact that things don't bring you happiness. Friends bring you happiness.
kealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

First: I'm glad you're okay, Rick. Your friend sounds like a very good person with a big heart.

Maybe you could restore a different car together and make it a project? Spend time with him and help him fund the restoration.
quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

thats good it shows that he is a good friend that cares for you and would trade you for an item try you could spend time with him helping him in any way that he needs help (funding, school/work ect.)
burkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Your friend already told you he doesn't want anything from you. He sounds like an amazing friend. Chalk the entire ordeal up to experience, and don't borrow his cars on rainy days from now on.
macdhubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

that sucks. but just go and drive the cars. dont worry. just make sure there is no rain.
allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Any classic car fanatic...and good lord a Mustang collector at that...worth his salt, would never hand over the keys to a Shelby (do you know how rare a Shelby GT 500 is?) to ANYONE. I don't care how good of a friend you are. If this really happened, and the car was fully restored, there is no way that you can ever, EVER pay him back. Not even mentioning the thousands upon thousands of dollars that you cost, the time spent restoring these cars is immeasurable. Hopefully your friend will have learned his lesson and has taken your keys away, if not then he got what he deserved. You may not like this answer, but it is what it is. I know I seem mean, and letting you drive was your friends choice, but you really should not have been out in those conditions in such a valuable car that did not belong to you : )

edit: sorry if I was not nice, it is just that there is no way you can possibly pay him back. If he is glad that you are ok and has left it at that then maybe it is best for you to leave it alone...no sense whipping a dead horse. I wouldn't drive any of his cars anymore though.
ayawamat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs