1973 Mustang Mach 1 restoration? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1973 Mustang Mach 1 restoration?

What do the car experts think? I have a car that has the original engine and drive-train still in it, I believe. I would like to restore the car to look as it did in 1973 straight out of the factory. The question is, should I restore it to exact specs (standard seats, standard doors, ginger interior with gold glow exterior, etc..) and what ever else came with my car? Or.... Should I restore it with all the bells and whistles that would have been offered that year (ie. mach 1 seats, deluxe doors, deluxe consoles, map light, etc..)?
derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Do you have the build sheet?
You can add options that would normally be dealer installed without altering the value. If you change the factory installed stuff, you'll suffer on points.

How much money do you have? The key is in the MCA competition and the amount of points you can rack up. That's when you start hitting the value of your car. That means you need to restore to the exact specs and parts with the exception of dealer installed options.

If you are not up to that then have fun with it and add what you want.
howahkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If it is a true Mach I I would keep it as close to stock as possible but also include as many extra parts for those years as I could. 1971 to 1973 have many luxury parts you can swap around. Make it look as nice as you want it to look. I would add the original spoilers and front air dam scoops I could. Those cars looked great with the full on Mach I sports package. Just make sure you do it right the first time. That is a cool car that is slowly getting more recognition than before. By the way the original Eleanor from the first "Gone in 60 Seconds" was a 1973 Mach I Mustang.
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Make it nice. Put the mach 1 seats in. DO NOT CHANGE THE ENGINE as that will TOTALLY drop your value. If you can make it look MINT, and showroom condition, she's worth $$. Restore it to MACH 1 specs. there's nothing wrong with that, and it will look amazing. If you put all the Mach 1 stuff in, it should be worth more. Just make sure she's #'s matching!
chesmu is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1973 mustang