I need to improve my ford mustang from pony to muscle? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2009, 08:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I need to improve my ford mustang from pony to muscle?

I have a 1965 ford mustang small block v8 289. what do i need to do to increase it to a muscle car??
adom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

First I'm starting off by saying this is my fiance's log in. Ok first a 289 is a very good motor to build power out of. A 289 is a 302 block with the same bore and shorter stroke. The cylinder heads have very small combustion chambers which keeps compression up. The 2 barrel engines had 9:1 compression and the 4v had 9.5:1 compression factory. A 289 is plenty of engine to make a mustang classify as a muscle car. I have a 67 Cougar with a factory 4v 289 that I'm restoring and my fiance has a 65 mustang that has a factory 2v 289. We just finished building her motor. It is bored .40 over, stock heads, 484 lift Crane Cam, matching valve springs w/roller tipped rocker arms, aluminum intake and 750 holley 4v. With the factory C4 and 2:72 rear gear ratio it will smoke 10 inch wide BF Goodrich radials and chirp 2nd gear. If you put a 4 barrel intake and carb (600cfm) with headers and a lower gear( I recommend a 3:50 if it is a auto) in it it would really surprise you. The cars are very light and don't take much to get them moving. With those upgrades you would be about even with a Hi-Po. Search Youtube for Hi-po 289 there is a dark colored one on there launching. By the way my fiance's car runs on 93 octane now and averages 10 to 12 mpg around town haven't driven it much on highway yet. Good luck, hope this helps.
sydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Muscle cars have big motors with a lot of horsepower. It seems like you don't know much about cars... so you should buy a Ford crate motor to replace your 289. 302 is the biggest motor that will fit in the engine bay. You can stroke a 302 to a 347 and make around 450 horsepower. Make sure to strengthen the chassis. Get subframe connectors. And you should put a Trac-Lok differential in it so power goes to both wheels. Traction bars will help also, it make eliminate wheel hop.
corren is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

351 with aluminum heads, roller rockers, cam, headers, fuel injection and a blower. That would do the trick, or you could sell it and buy a 1967 camaro SS
jeremias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

go from 2 bbl to 4 bbl carb, headers , cam and aluminum heads will put you over 300 to 350 hp that should be enough
gilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Trade it for a GM or Chrysler.
ioan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs