1973 Mach 1 Mustang Restoration Direction? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1973 Mach 1 Mustang Restoration Direction?

What do the car experts think? I have a car that has the original engine and drive-train still in it, I believe. I would like to restore the car to look as it did in 1973 straight out of the factory. The question is, should I restore it to exact specs (standard seats, standard doors, ginger interior with gold glow exterior, etc..) and what ever else came with my car? Or.... Should I restore it with all the bells and whistles that would have been offered that year (ie. mach 1 seats, deluxe doors, deluxe consoles, map light, etc..)?
bourke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 03:59 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

i also have a 1973 Qcode 351 cobra jet 4 spd car. it is painted 4Q with silver accents. standard uphoulstry. the car is worth extremely more with everything matching the door tag. restore the car to its original glory and you will not be disappointed in its value. easily changed bolt ons will not affect the value of the car , but if you remove any original parts be sure to save them so they can be put back on the car if you ever decide to sell it.
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If you are selling it, keep it factory specs. An "original car" will sell for more than a car that has any type of modifications, even if they are options the car didn't come with. If you are keeping it for yourself, make it whatever you want. You should have fun driving the car, and you should love every part about it, after all the time you will put in to restore it you will be killing yourself if you dont like the colors at the end.
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I would first find out the history on the car. If it was a GT California big block car or something like that then I'd definitely dump some money in it to get it as close to stock as possible. Keep the drive train and engine original no matter what. Now that I think about it since you have everything original restore it to what the car was, you'll get the most value for it. The value of the post 70 stangs are going up pretty quick. Just don't let it sit around for another ten years and rust like a lot of idiots do. Get it on the road.
birkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I agree 100% with what C-Reeds said. When I got my '66 fastback the drivetrain had already been replaced with a fuel injected 302, and a T-5 5speed. In your case, the car is still all original, I would keep it that way. You might want to look at the Mustang Club of America website, and check out how many mods are allowed, and still be considered stock. You can also get a "History 999" report from Ford, if you have the door tag (look just below the latch on the drivers door), and VIN number. This will tell you everything that your car had on it, plus when and where it was built. Do a search for "Ford History 999 report" online and you should be able to find the phone number.

What ever you end up doing have fun, and enjoy your car.
hurste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you are doing the restore for yourself, put it anyway that you want, its for you to enjoy. If you are thinking of doing a factor restoration then you want to restore it to what it was when the car was purchased off the factory floor. .
nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

you dont see or find to many mach 1 mustangs out there!! i would restore it back to org.condition.check with some mustang web sites to find out what it is worth.
milward is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs