1965 Mustang Fastback Overheating any ideas? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1965 Mustang Fastback Overheating any ideas?

I have a 65 mustang fastback. I'm restoring it now but when i was driving, it was always overheating after awhile on the road. It has a 302 engine that someone put in it. I've taken my radiator out and had it all cleaned and flushed, but it would still overheat. Any other thoughts of what might be the problem or do you think it is the radiator still?
finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

check youre thermostat you can remove it and it will run cooler
innis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I would pressurize the system with a cooling system pressure tester and inspect for leaks if any leaks are present repair as needed.Also check the oil condition and make sure its not a milky light brown color to make sure you don't have a blown head gasket. Also make sure your thermostat is working properly or just put one in its cheap and easy to do just make sure you install the correct one for that engine. If you dont have a fan shroud i would get one it helps alot. Make sure your radiator is big enough for your mustang or look into a aluminum radiator they work great and look cool but, can be expensive. Check the water pump for any visible leaks at the peekhole its a small hole on the water pump if you see coolant seeping out put a pump in it. I would tell you inspect the fins on waterpump but, the whole waterpump needs to be removed. I see it as if your going to take the pump out to inspect it. Your better off putting a new one. Make sure your fan is not to far from the radiator also check the fan clutch or if you have an electric fan make sure they come on. Well good look at let me what you found.i almost forgot make sure your belt has the correct tension on it a loose belt will cause the waterpump not to rotate properly.
sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 06:23 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well water and Radiator arent the only things that can prevent heating up, Check your Oil, are there any lubricants spilling out? moisturizing? and Double-check your Radiator again, the hose that connects to the engine, and check your oil lines...

Hit me when you need help, I use to have a civic and it has the same problem
berwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Did you check for a broken water pump shaft ?(I had that happen with a 1970 FORD 302 V-8 in a pick-up it broke just behind the impeller) ,or check to be sure your not pushing hot compression into the water jacket (a split in a head gasket will do that)
Do a compression test to rule out a head gasket problem.
hamdi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1965 mustang