Question about FORD V-8 and I-6 engines? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Question about FORD V-8 and I-6 engines?

I have recently purchased a 1965 Mustang Coupe. It is entirely a base model car, with a 200 CI 6 cylinder and a three speed stick. Its in excellant condition.

My plan is to install a 5-speed and a I-6 300.

We will do everything to make it look as stock as possible.

A true sleeper.

The question is, are the motor mounts the same on the 200 CU 6 as they are on the 300 CU 6?

Here is my logic, let me know if I am wrong or right.

The 170, 200, 260, 289, 302 and 351 in the classic mustangs were interchangeable. (In terms of mounts, mount location and transmission bolt patterns.

The F-150 that I am getting the 300 from has the 302, 351, and 300 with the same bolt pattern. Does this not also mean the mounts are the same?

I know you can take a 302 or 351 from a truck or mustang and bolt it into a car like a 87 turbo couple T-bird.

So, since there are so many bolt-in cross-overs, does this mean I will be able to bolt in the 300?
mervyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

It's a cool project: it can, and has been done before. You may need to do some firewall mods due to the length. The 67 and later models would make it a little easier with the longer engine bay, it's going to be a squeeze in the early models.

I've not done it, but I've seen it done, and can suggest checking out the Mustang forum on Ford Six:

http://fordsix.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11
colbert31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You will most probably need the mounting brackets and rubber motor mounts for 65-68 full size ford to put the 300 in the mustang.
But I have to ask why the 300I6? It's a great truck engine, much better than a 302 in a truck. But a 260-351w V8's are better suited for the mustang and are lighter. Windsor engines are cheap as are parts.
sydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Motor mounts are not the same and you might run into some cleanance issues with the carb and hood.
Never seen it done before I have a 65 as well I'm gonna place a stroked 408. If it was me I would drop a V8 into it after all its a pony car.
Not a truck or van.
roch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly I have no idea. But from what you are saying about the bolt patterns and which they all have, I would have to say they it might just work. I'm sorry I don't have an exact answer. I woulde recommend calling either a custom shop and getting a prof opin or trying to call Roush b/c they do the SVT line for ford and they might have an idea for ya. Sorry I don't know when you find can you tell me? This is hellas insteresting and I would hlike to know as well. (Thinking about putting a 351 in my 2005 500.) wowboy05@yahoo.com Thanks man good luck
christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The 300 CI is much larger than the basic little 6 that came in the Mustang, Falcon and some early Fairlanes. That motor was found in FULL sized cars and trucks not Mustangs, plus it is much heavier. It had a larger deck meaning its taller and hood clearance could be an issue unless you want to destroy under the hood of the Mustang like the firewall and inner fenders. Just because it looks similar doesn't mean it will bold in, it probably will weigh as much as a V8. Why not just bolt a 289 or 302 not much prefab except maybe upgrade the cooling system and mounts. You will need to upgrade suspension with what you want to do.

Why not trade it all for a nice V8 package or trade the car for something you don't have to work on if it is as nice as you say Mustang freaks will buy that thing up in no time.
stanhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i can't give you a direct answer, but you could probably get on a Ford forum and look it up. I really want to say that it would work, but chances are you might have to do some slight fabbing.

You could get a repair manual for each of the vehicles in question and look at the enging mount specs. I know that isn't what you are looking for, but it might help.

Good luck.
bishamon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like a really cool project, I have seen it done, but it does take a bit of work. Nothing from the 200 will fit, but the v8 bell housing is the same. You will need to make your own motor mounts or adapter plates using the ones from the 200. You also need a larger radiator and your own carb linkage. Length and highth are critical, but it sounds like you have it covered.. It looks cool and runs great with a 4 barrel and header from Cliffords, plus you'll love the torque!
imported_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #9
gil
Registered Member
Regular

Measure the height of the 300, I have heard they will not fit under the hood since they are taller. The mounts are not the same. The 300 and the 200 is not from the same family of 6 cylinders. The 300 is a truck motor, and not designed for passenger car chassis. You will have to do a little fab work to make the mounts work in the Mustang chassis.
gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

most likely different
banjamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

300 is a truck engine, everything is different, and the engine is about a foot longer than the 200
merla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The in line 6 300 is taller and longer but you can fab a set of motor mounts they are not hard to make ,and you do have some clearance on the oil pan if you can set back the engine 2 inches,also to make up for the length you could buy a aluminum radiator and shell out the radiator support and mount it deeper in the radiator support,also if your car came out with a in line 6 it is not a easy swap for a v-8 as the cross member between the strut towers are different that a 4 Cly or v-6 and v-8 equipped cars.
skeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

The engine is too tall. That's why you don't see I6 250's in the early mustangs.
cormic is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs