I have a 1965 mustang and want to tune up? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-21-2009, 01:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 1965 mustang and want to tune up?

like i said a 1965 mustang
it is a 6 cyl with cali emmisions straight 6 automatic
i kinda just want to know what i can do to get it runnin "good"
now it runs great but i want a little more "ummph" if u know what i mean,
i want to know what i can do with out compromizing the cars original style, everything is origial.
rodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I had a 65 with a dagenheim 4-speed and ran good. Wasn't a racer but a lot of fun. Drove it to Virginia and back.

I would suggest solid state points, Pertronix or some other make. I would NOT play with your timing unless you want to replace valves (been there); although OK for a 200 mile per year car it's not good for daily driving. Keep the timing stock.

Replace your exhaust manifold with one from a 250, they're a little more free flowing and then you can go with a larger exhaust pipe with a flowmaster. Everything will still look stock.
rexley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

6 Cylinders were made so people could have the sporty car look, but didn't have to pony up the money to buy the V-8 or the performance packages...
aside from having a properly tuned engine there really isn't much you can do to give it Uuumph as you call it....
try using Blue Streak Points and always use a quality cap and rotor... when your at the auto parts store tell them you need a cap and rotor for your application, but that you want the quality parts...
It costs more, but you get what you pay for...
Use AutoLite Copper plugs, and always make sure your wires are in good shape...If you need a Coil, replace it with a MSD Blaster Coil.
keep your carb cleaned and fresh air filter, and you can fine tune your timing by slightly advancing it, then drive it...then turn it off and see how it restarts, if it's sluggish restarting you need to ****** the timing slightly to find that sweet spot...thats about it....
zachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2009, 02:57 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i sure love 2 have your car right now. they are so easy 2 tune up. i have a newer car but i do not have the pleasure of setting the points, timing,plugs which is so easy on your car. if you want more umph then get a 3 speed standard tranny. check the carb. there are weights which sometime go out of sinc, check it. good luck with the great car. i owned a 67 mustang fastback with a 428 cobra jet engine. it was great back then but because of gas prices would be unreal these days. good motoring
quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Leaving original you need a tune up using copper plugs with lifetime warranty which are 12.00 a piece, timing, and new wires with other tune up things they do. You , if really want the new perfomance it had whichwas not great you should have a vavle job since it sounds like you have not yet.
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It's a good thing you only want a little more "ummph" out of this motor. The 200 series sixes aren't really performance pieces. I'm not even sure if Ford offers performance goodies for them anymore but companies like Edelbrock and MSD do. Your better bet would be to just drop in a 289-302 V8 motor.
christophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

First off.. your 6 banger is never going to be a fast piece of detroit iron. You are better off focusing on the fact that it is a Mustang then that it is a fast mustang.

Try JCWhitney.com they have parts for mustangs of all flavors

brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:58 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

U BETTER DROP IN A SMALL BLOCK CHEVY,,,THATS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GET A FORD TO RUN GOOD,,,PLUS IT WILL ACTUALLY BE WORTH SOMETHING THEN,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
macdhubh is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1965 mustang