I want a car for my 16th bday but the parents are hesitant? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I want a car for my 16th bday but the parents are hesitant?

i want a 1969 Chevy Chevelle or a 1973 Ford Mustang but my parents are woried that if they give me a car its TOO big of a step... i have been driving since December 2007 and i am a very observant, steady, law abiding driver...i have even done all of the research...how do i get them to agree and buy me the car??
bour is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

first of all you have to consider the things that run through a parents mind..first of all do youknow how much money its going to be to add you to their auto insurance ALOT of money and to add another car would be money too, maybe you should get a part time job and agree to give them a little money to help with cost...
what i did back when i was 17 (im 20 now), was agree to pay back for half of the amount of the car and some money for insurance, i ended up giving my father $100 a month and after 6 months of seeing me start to be reasonible amd serious about the payments he told me to stop paying him and also told me dont get in accidents,or i would really start paying
imported_archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well you have to figure out what they are worried about. Are they worried about the money or you? I would say they are worried about you. If they are willing to put the money down for the car and insurance I would show them that you are a responsible person by doing everything they say and not go wild with the car. If they tell you to be in at a certain time or call at a certain time, then do it. If not, they could easily take that car from you. It won't be yours remember that, it will be your parents car that they are giving you. A car thats really yours is one you buy and work for. Suck up big time and be a good kid and they should give you the car and let me tell you that you have a lot of life to live and you need to start thinking about your future and what you want to do with life and you will have a bright one. Good Luck.
rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, but your parents are right with this one. I have no problems with a 16 yr old having a car, being independent and driving, but to ask for an expensive, high performance muscle car as your very first vehicle is not only careless, it's self-centered. A car with that kind of power is way to much vehicle for any inexperienced driver to handle safely.

Look for something a little more practical and when you're older and more experienced and you have a job and our own money then you can go out and buy whatever car you want.
innis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

if your parents buy you a 69 Chevy, please ask them to loan me some money I've always wanted a Porsche.

set your sights a little lower

for $4,000

look for

98 Acura CL, 98 Ford Mustang V6, 98 Honda Accord or Civic, 98 Nissan Frontier or Pathfinder, 98 Subaru Impreza or Legacy, 98 -00 Toyota Corolla or Echo 00

these are all reliable and will last longer than other cars in this price range.

for around $6k an Acura Integra 98-99 is a great car.
dichali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

That's just it - you don't. The key to having them think you've matured is to stop begging and whining for free stuff. Don't do it any more, EVER.

Tell them that you'd like a car, and the reasons. Your reasons are going to be stupid, of course, and that's okay. If they say no, then you say "okay". If they say to get a job and buy your own car, you say "okay".

You'll be AMAZED at the results you'll get by pretending to be mature. Your parents are kind of responsible to evaluate how well your brain is working through the teenage years, but you can still fool 'em by pretending that you're logical.
ashbbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

ask them why they are concerned with getting a car for you. is it the money ( cost of vehicle, insurance, etc... ) , the type of car you want , or some other reason... Ask them and figure out logical answers that will help relax some of there fear. maybe getting a job to help pay for car , maybe changing the type of car you want. you need to figure it out and talk with them... BTW driving for 6 month is not a long time to make people feel comfortable with your skills ... 6 years in a lot of cases isn't either !!! don't chase the idea that you are now a "safe" driver - it wont work... !!!
roselyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Nice to see that you have great taste in cars. But you need to be older and have more driving experience before you consider them. The cars you mentioned are eligible for collector car insurance,which at your age you just can't apply for.Get something you don't care about and save up for the car of your dreams.
ashbbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Why don't you get a job and save up for an old beater if it runs and is safe that is really all you need. You don't want a nice car for your first car you will end up denting it.
riki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I need a bike for my birthday,.

asking for something more of a need rather than a want may just be what your parents or friends are wanting to know,.
--- good luck,. oh happy birthday,..,
corcoran is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs