Whats THE DEAL with CARS!!!? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Whats THE DEAL with CARS!!!?

i have a 97 saturn. good car so far. before i had a 1990 pontiac grand prix. J U N K!! my dad has a 1965 FORD mustang orignal engine with 375,000 miles on it. runs awesome! no problems with it the entire 40 years he owned it. our family has bought 3 GM vehicles, one of them new (93' buick and two chevys (1994, 1999). and they have been JUNK! he treats them just like his mustang. everyone i hear says GM is the best and FORD and DODGE suck. WTF?!

BUT!!!!

my co-worker told me he just lost his FORD because it would always break down! (1989 Ford Taurus) my grandpa hates FORD for their poor quality. and some of my friends hate DODGE because of problems they have had with them. but i have a friend who loves DODGE because his has never given him problems (i think its a 1994 DODGE Ram)

and today my moms 2001 honda civic transmission is ruined! $2,000!

is there some trick into keeping our cars working as long as my dad's Mustang? whats going on?!
odam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Sophie said it, you gotta love the car you drive.
Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance.... and keep the fluids fresh!

My brother is a rodder and builds his own cars. When his '92 Sable sneezes it's in the Ford shop. Drives it from Colorado to California and back with no worries.
arlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

well it has come to my knowledge, american cars nowadays are poorly made.

you guys probably haven't been changing the oils in your car or doing annual maintenance. also, if you have a manual transmission, i recommend to go easy when shifting as you may break your transmission or blow your engine.

your dad sounds like an old fashioned man who takes pride in his car and is probably why he has kept it in tip top condition. but if you cant do that, i suggest you buy a toyota or honda as they can last real long just as long as you change oil (your mom probably didn't do this or isnt easy on her car and thats why she broke hers.)
brant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

yeah, buy an older car like your dad's mustang. old cars are easy to work on, and don't have the bells and whistles that usually quit working.
iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I own a used car dealership and anytime I get a new vehicle in the first thing I do is change the oil to full synthetic and the same with the transmission fluid because most of today's newer engines are aluminum and can gum easily and cause Major engine damage. Then I go through the entire car checking on anything that might cause future problems. It is a sad truth the every auto manufacturer has has some soft of recall of TSB (technical service bulletins) on one or more of the cars they produce. I also go checkout any car I am about to purchase with a carfax report and look for any and all recalls for that car you would be surprised on what information you find when you do that also look for customer reviews about a particular car/truck customer that have the car/truck know what problems that had to fix and if you get enough people complaining about a problem chances are you will have the same problem with it too.
austyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The first thing is ...you have to like the car......

If you like the car, you will take better care of it than normal... and better care, and how you drive determines how long it lasts.....
dunmore is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs