1964 1/2 Mustang brake repair question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1964 1/2 Mustang brake repair question?

I have an all original 1964 1/2 Mustang, 260 V8, 3 speed on the floor, non-hydro brakes. I suspect the brake light switch is going bad as you just about have to push the brake peddle to the floor before the break lights come on. I have found that the switch is on the master cylinder and looks like it screws on and off and has two wires connected to it.

My question is, does the brake fluid have to be removed from the master cylinder prior to taking off the old switch? Will fluid leak out?

Any help on this process would be appreciated.
wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Fluid will leak out. Just have something to catch it. It destroys paint so don't get it on anything. You might need to bleed the brakes. but I doubt it. You'll know if the pedal gets spongy. Have the new switch ready to go before removing the old one. Leave the cover on the master cylinder when doing this. It will minimize fluid loss, if any.
anselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

you can find your answers by typing into search box

how to remove
how to replace
how to install
name of part

sure if you remove it fluid will come out but not so sure about why you getting a light othe than bad brakes which you should check fluid and shoes as well wil make light come on

type how to replace brake light switch
how to check brake shoes
how to bleed brake
how to replace brake shoes 1964 ford mustang

look into buying a repair manaul and mustang forums woul dget you with other who have them and might help as well
tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

As old as your vehicle is, I recommend totally restoring your brake system.......your life could depend on it. The switch is not why your pedal goes down too far, it is doing it's job of warning you that something in the brake system is not right.

Check out Classic Mustang or others although probaly all the parts you need are available at your local auto parts store.
fane is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs