1973 Mach 1, what material is the "front bumper" made of? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1973 Mach 1, what material is the "front bumper" made of?

I own a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 fastback, I'm working on the body and the "front bumper" is Somekind of rubber composite and is painted. Well I want to take that paint of and re-paint it a different color. To do so I need to know what kind of material it is made of? Any help is approviated and tips. Thanks.
pacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Voice of experience here. I'm in Detroit and have manufactured plastic bumper covers for years. I used to injection mold Mustang bumper covers.

That front bumper cover is not rubber, although it is "rubbery" and people mistakenly call them "rubber bumpers." Your bumper cover is reaction injection molded Polyurethane plastic - or PU for short (sometimes PUR for polyurethane resin - PU and PUR are two different names for the same plastic).

Polyurethane plastic is very adhesive so you won't have any trouble repainting it. (Go to a hardware store and you will find polyurethane glue - two part resin glue is basically the same stuff - that's how adhesive it is.) You don't need to remove the existing paint, just sand it smooth then paint over. It will probably take you 45 minutes with 320 grit sandpaper. Primer paint any places where you cut through the paint to the raw plastic. Make sure that you add a flex additive to the paint (and use a flexible primer too) because the plastic bumper cover is flexible and without the flex additive the new paint will crack. DO NOT put adhesion promoter on the part as someone else here suggested. It will destabilize the bond between the existing paint and the plastic and a month later your new paint job will be flaking off. Adhesion promoter is only used on the newer style (since around 1995 and newer) TPO plastic bumpers (and PP and modified-PP and TPE just to be technically correct). Adhesion promoter is used on the raw TPO (et. al.) plastic as a bonding agent to help the primer paint adhere to the raw plastic because the adhesiveness of the TPO plastic is low compared to PU.

If you need more info on painting plastic bumper covers, you will find a paint resource guide here:

http://www.originalfit.com/

dalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

After you remove the paint spray a plastic adhesion promoter over the entire bumper then spray your primer/sealer over that and then paint.You can also add a flex agent in the clear to help with the flexibility.You can buy it at any paint store.It takes longer to dry but it will keep the clear from cracking if you bump something. As far as the rubber bumper is concerned I would go to a Mustang chat group and ask the mustang gurus about what kind of material it is.Hope this answers you paint question.
raimondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Check with your local auto paint supplier. The composite (plastic) bumpers require a special coating material that will stick to the plastic bumpers and will still be flexible enough to withstand an occasional bump without cracking.
jaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs