Do you think the old cadillacs will last as the new ones built? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Do you think the old cadillacs will last as the new ones built?

i ask because i have a 1965 mustang, and to keep it short, i messed up, tryin to tear it up and replace the parts.im sellin it and tryin to move one tearfully. now i have my eyes set on 1966 cadillac that has just rolled over but runs and trans has been rebuilt. the motor is in good condition, and it does have a little rust. trunk pan and floor pan, at some point could used bein replaced. so should the brakes. the paint is original nd its nice, so it doesnt need a new job immediately. for 4,000 obo can i expect a classic caddy to be a daily driver with little or no mechanical problems for now?
hamdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't think it would be too good. Cars back then were worn out and junk by 70 or 80 thou miles, maybe a little more but not much. It means a lot of expensive maintenance and I would be afraid of the transmission. I would however like to have it and install a Chevy 572 with an overdrive trans and a later model locking rear end. Maybe some later model brakes too.
imported_sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Countryboy, this is what we call a "total"Good for parts only but, usapartssupply.com does sell body panels and has a Caddy catalog for 1949-1970. If you think the Mustang was a nightmare, try rounding up what ya need for a '66' Caddy, including glass and roof. I'd stick it out with the Mustang myself and as you gain more knowledge your "Pony" will too
eoghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Yes the old ones will last forever as long as you take of 'em
celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hi, these cars will always be good as long as you maintain them. There are parts out there for all the classic and muscle cars, and alot of companies with repro items for those cars. Personally I like the older cars more. The insurance rate should also be alot lower in the USA. Here in Iceland its about 10% of the regular new car's incurance rate.
Ebay is aswell good source for parts. But the gas price is more problem for us the v8 and classic car owner's, but the car's themself really pay up for that.

Joe.
eloy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs