What engine fits what car? Engine swaps.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 07:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What engine fits what car? Engine swaps.?

Here one for the guys who do engine swaps. How would you go about figuring about what's the biggest engine you can fit in your car with any huge mods just the usual (engine mounts, etc.). Say I wanted to fit a 523 Pro Street Series V8 in a 1972 Chevelle, or a 418 Ford Windsor V8 in a 1973 Mustang. What would I need to do to figure out if it would fit without heavy customization? Well, thank you.
donte is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

It's not about cubic inches. For once

It's about the type of block. In Chevy, you have big blocks and small blocks. If the car was originally built with a big block available, one should drop right in with the right engine mounts. Otherwise, you need to compare the stock engine to the desired engine and look at clearances. Obviously the mounts you get determine where exactly the engine will sit.
evian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You're in like flynn. If the original engine is small block, anything from a 283 to an LT4 will bolt right in
nels91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

any bbc can bolt in in the chevelle, the stock frame mounts for a small blockmustang should work why not go for a chevy crate 572 with 620 hp from chevy
yitzchak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry never heard of either engine!
I think it is a 351 Ford Windsor and the 523... I have no idea, unless you are thinking of stroked engines. In any case I would go with the 454 big block Chevy engine for the Chevelle and a 302 small block in the Mustang....both, bolt ins! If you want... stroke the cranks and do some porting on the heads, esp/ the Ford. Use some aftermarket stuff and you got some sweet but illegal engines. Remember you can not forget about the smog laws....LOL
dalen is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs