Why does my car do this? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-22-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Why does my car do this?

i seem to have trouble movin it to neutral, reverse or drive before it dies on me. its a 1962 ford galaxie. i pump the gas few times before i start, i pump it more when i turn the key. its either after i stop pumpin the gas or i move it from park and it sputters out. my dad has had more luck. he is able drive it, the only thing is you cant keep it in drive too long or it completely stops, in the middle of traffic. so he puts it in neutral. the guy we bought it from said i did need a tune up. will the tune up solve all the issues? not its not a bucket case, the previous owner stripped it down to the metal, put new paint, new brakes, new leather, new headliner, new velor, rebuild the motor and tranny and it has power steering. its a beautiful car but im not quite used to a car stallin. the other car i have is a 1965 mustang and as long as you charge the battery, it runs and drives. im not a rookie.....
ramzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Why does my car do this?

Carburettor woes. You can easily raise the idle, this will help, but chances are that the carb's insides are dirty and need cleaning! The accelrator pump inside it may have a perforated diaphragm. Carb rebuild kits are still made for this car. Try a good Borg-Warner, they are the most complete. If you don't have that much inspiration, go to a Mercury boat store and buy a can of "Power Tune". Around $9-12. It is the best thing in the world for carb woes. It has foaming action. Insert thenozzle, and stick it everywhere you can see. It will refurbish the whole inside and outside of the carb, WHILE YOU WATCH!!! The metering jets will purge. The air mixture ports will expel contaminants. TRY IT!!! You will LIKE it!!! If all else fails, rebuild, rebuild, rebuild!!!
nyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Why does my car do this?

Sounds like the idle is set too low. I had a similar problem with my old 64 Galaxie.

Any mechanic should be able to fix it or look it up online and do it yourself. Adjusting the idle is pretty simple.
breandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Why does my car do this?

Hi, Big Ed makes a good point..too low an idle. I'm thinking it might be caused by the choke on the carb either not set correctly or not working at all. It's not hard to set or replace. If it didn't come with an electric choke get one thru the aftermarket. You'll need to find an ignition ON hot wire for it. The other thing it could be is a vacuum leak. Check ALL the vacuum lines (which all run off the intake manifold) for cracks and snugness on the fittings. The biggest vacuum line goes to the brake booster, it has a plastic check valve that could be bad and the brake booster itself could be leaking vacuum. Cool car..Geo
ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Why does my car do this?

im not sure about the tune up fixing the problem because it sounds like a throttle problem but get all your fluids and filters changed and for sure get a tune up.
riordain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Why does my car do this?

The carburetor needs overhauled and probably idled up a bit.
field is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs