What should I look for when I want to buy a classic car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What should I look for when I want to buy a classic car?

Im going to look at a 1967 Ford Mustang this week and possibly buy it. I need some help in what to look for and if it is worth the price. He is selling it for about $4500. There is little rust on the front floor panel, but he has already bought new replacements for it. No rust on body and there was a little rust in the gas tank which he had replaced. He also says its needs a new carborator but still runs and drives well. Here are the specs PLEASE HELP ME and let me know if it is worth it.

67 MUSTANG COUPE 289 V8 AT
HIS IS A LIST OF NEW ITEMS RADIATOR,TOP BOTTOM,5/8"HEATER HOSES,THEMOSTAT,FLUSH KIT.TUNE UP,GAS TANK FUEL PUMP,@ FILTER,ALL THE BRAKES SHOES,MASTER@,WHEEL CYDERS.ALL BRAKE LINES OEM. ORG.DRUMS.INTERIOR IS AWSOME PERFECT BLACK BUCKIT SEATS AND REAR,DOOR PANELS.ARM REST. SUN VISORS W/NEW RODS.DOME LIGHT.ALL DOOR HANDLES IN THE BOX ALSO CARPIT @ SOUND DEADNER IN THE BOX. A FEW SMALL DINGS ACROSS NOSE OF THE HOOD AND A COUPLE IN THE ROOF AREA BUT ALL MINOR REPAIRABLE.
iseabail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I guess you should also check insurance quotes for the car before buying one, for example here: http://carinsurance.deep-ice.com
As I know Mustangs is expensive to insure.
hurste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If he really has put all that work into it, don't hesitate, grab it ---------On the other hand --------- Why is he only asking $4500. for it.

Have a qualified mecanic look it over first. It's worth the extra $30. or $40. to be sure about it.
wylingford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

There are a number of places on the early Mustang that are rust prone. The cowl area, floor panels, frame rails, torque boxes, wheel wells, lower door area are the main ones. Did he replace the fuel line when he replaced the tank? Restoration parts are plentiful and some are not too expensive. If possible, have someone who is savvy on these cars go with you to inspect it thoroughly before purchase. The price seems a little high for a coupe in need of work. This does not take into account any mechanical work it may need because you didn't mention if the engine, transmission or rear differential have been overhauled. You could contact a local Mustang club and I am sure a member could help check it out. Good luck
norbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

you need to look at the sub frame real good under it,those was really bad to rust out in the front area ,they are replaceable but very hard to get back in right,also notice the under structure really good above the rear wheels they also rusted out real bad around that area,i restored a few of these cars,and the most i see wrong with them is rust,thats a common enemy of any restoration project,if its in good shape under neath of it you have something to work with and weld too,other wise you,ll be adding new parts just to have something to weld too,the last one i did cost about 20 grand to restore from the ground up which wasnt to bad considering the guy sold it for about 35 thousand,be careful though look it over real good,the more rust you see the less its worth,good luck with it.
giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs