Am i biting off more then i can chew with this new mustang project? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Am i biting off more then i can chew with this new mustang project?

Hi, Im 17 and i have no mechanical expierience at all. i was offered a 1965 mustang hardtop to restore and am very interested in giving it a try. ive heard that old cars are easier to work on then new ones. what i am wondering is do you think i can do this just using books and asking questions or do i really need someone to do it with me? i really want to do it and i learn fast. i have a barn i can work on it in and alittle room for other stuff. its been sitting in the guys yard for 20 years and is pretty rusy but the engine and all the stuff is still in tact. also im wondering how much this project may cost and if i can do it mainly so please help me out. thanks
kealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If you are mechanically inclined, you should be able to do this.

As for the cost, you can spend a little or a lot, depending on how in depth you want to go into this project.

Just about any part for this car is availible, if you want to spend the money.

You say it is rusty. First thing, check the frame in back. I have seen these rust to where they failed. If this area is severely rusted, this will need to be addressed.

Next, check for rust in the cowl and firewall area. These are structural points on this unibody car. If this area is severely rusted, this will need to be addressed.

Other rusted areas are more cosmetic. You can get replacement parts.

Make sure you go through the brakes. The brakes may be frozen after 20 years. It would suck to crash your new project car the first time you take it out.

Good luck with your project. You will have a very cool car when it is finished.
keandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Take lots of pictures and make sure you mark parts and bolts so you will remember what they are keep small nuts and bolts in baggies and mark them most of all take your time and in a few years you will have a nice ride, read and ask also join a mustang club and don't be afraid to ask for help or advice that's why they are there.
dumont75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Even if you do the work yourself expect to spend at least $10,000 and don't expect to have a car that is reliable enough to be a daily driver. It unfortunately is pretty normal for a collector vehicle to need a $300 repair every other time you take it out. Remember this is a toy, not transportation.

Also remember this project will take years to finish.

All of that being said, it's a huge expensive project. If you've got the spare time and the spare money, go for it. '65 was a great year for Mustangs.
wicleah26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

you can do it! I got a 1965 mustang when I was 15. I'm now 22, and I've done a little body work, put seat belts in it, rebuilt the motor myself, put a late-model Tremec trans in it, put a narrowed 1968 9-inch rearend under it, installed my own stereo system w/ hidden cd changer, put disc brakes on the front, and numerous other little stuff. Don't be intimidated, old cars are very intuitive, which means that the way they worked makes simple sense. One thing I loved about rebuilding my motor was that I could climb up in the engine bay of my Mustang and root around in it. Can't do that with many modern cars!

I did have the benefit of being good friends with a guy who's been a mechanic for about 25 years, and this helped greatly. although all the actual work was done by myself, my girlfriend, and my dad, having someone very knowledgeable just to ask was a big help. I've used a Chilton's book for a lot of stuff, too.

There's not really an estimate on how much it will cost to get your Mustang the way you want. Mine's had a few thousand $ dropped in it and it's still a long way from perfect. BUT, with a 1972 302 with a 4- barrel Holley, it moves me down the interstate at 23mpg, and will hang with the new Mustang GT's.
cingeswiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 01:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

When I was 17 there were lots of things I had plans on doing.But,like so many other 17 year olds most of them got shelved.If you are truly interested in this project here are a few facts from a once 16 year old who took 21 years to complete a 1956 Fleetwood project.You can't do it all alone.There are a lot of things that you are going to need pro help with.Unless you have a big expense account it will probably take a minimum of 5 years of dedication.The cost...that's up to your dreams.
aodha is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs