1965 Mustang coupe, convertible? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1965 Mustang coupe, convertible?

I've got a 1965 mustang coupe and have been working on it for about 3 years now, does anyone know how much time/money/work it would take to convert it into a convertible? I know that you would completely have to re-enforce the structure and frame to keep the rigidity and integrity in tact, but what else would need to be done? Thanks for any help. (it may just be wishful thinking, but I was just curious.)
colbert31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

A good friend of mine just completed converting a 1966 Mustang HT into a convertible. After reinforcing and boxing up several areas around the rocker panels and center floor boards, he literally cut the roof off - cutting the front windshield pillars off at the factory roof seams.
The absolute best way to do this is to find yourself a convertible donor car - regardless of condition - because proper alignment and placement of many of the components and items such as the front windshield header are a real time saver when it comes to final assembly and a donor car is the perfect template as well as an excellent source for many parts.
Unless your car is a numbers matching Mustang with a K code engine - I say go for it.
It's a lot of work, but there's a lot of satisfaction in the finished project also - and it makes for a lot of conversation with other car enthusiasts.
ramzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If you cut off the top you will destroy the value of the vehicle. Car collectors like cars in their original condition exactly the way the were sold new in 1965. Convertibles are nice but it needs to be an original not a mickey mouse conversion. If you want a convertible Mustang then you should buy one. They sold lots of them in 1964 to 1966 so they are available.

The convertible model had a heavier frame to keep the car from turning over. There was a lot of hydraulics also to make the top go up and down. You are looking at a very large expense.
macdaibhidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you want it bad enough, and are a very good bodyman without much funding, they you may have to build it yourself. Be prepared for the fact that it won't be worth near what you have invested in it when it's finished, but if you plan on keeping it, then go for it... there are companies that do it, but are expensive.. Good luck..
tripp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It isn't possible!!! Unless you want to spend a few hundred thousand

I would just recommend buying a convertible.
dunmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

i would not do that if i where you. so many parts are diffrent i would not know where to start. it would be cheper to buy a 65 convertible fully restored
derrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It would probably be cheaper just to buy one because you have to cut the top off and everything. So, whichever you want to do.
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Check out this retractable hardtop.
darwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1965 mustang