First step in restoring a classic Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

First step in restoring a classic Mustang?

I recently bought a 1967 Mustang in decent mechanical condition. I am not mechanically savvy, nor do I know any people who are. My question is.. What is the first step in restoring this vehicle? I've already replaced brake system (drums, hubs, bearings..) and completed an oil change. So, what's next?
fearghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

rebuild the front tire rods inner outer ball joints etc..rear end rebuild trust me the go out after not being touched in over 40 years,then engine rebuild trans rebuild body new parts seals weather stripping interior is next,the last you should do is paint you don't want to get it scratched up while getting every thing done
arvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I hate the answer "drive it till something breaks". Anyway, I had the same question when I got my first Mustang - a 1967 notchback. These are my suggestions. Give it a tuneup. I'm not sure what engine you have, but you should be able to tune it up rather easily and get it running smooth. Then take it for a ride, and think of what you want to do with it. You have to decide what your limitations are. Restoring a car is a wonderful learning experience, and you will pickup more knowledge as you go. Start with the little things first. Tuneup, brakes, exhaust, oil change, wash and wax, detail the interior. The one thing that you don't want to do is to tear the car apart straight away. It's a good way to lose parts and get discouraged. Take it slow and join a restoration club. There are guys and girls in these clubs who have "been there and done that". You can also find someone in your area (through the club listing) who can help and give advice. I applaud you for wanting to restore and preserve your car. I have attached a link to the Mustang Club of America. I am a member and the other members helped me with my Mustangs when I though all hope was lost. Good luck.
custennin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

well even though your not mechanically inclined you can still do the basics like checking suspension components and bushings for wear if they're inexpensive to replace do it... I would also start looking for rust and start cleaning that up since its basically cancer but on a car... I know this sounds general but you need to start on one part do some research and then repair otherwise a whole car looks very intimidating.
ephrayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

shocks and springs
Tune up
Transmission service
tires
Paint and body
interior
It all depends on the condition of the vehicle and what you want to do with it.....resto rod or speed demon
I would drive it around for a bit and decide what you want to do with it. New wheels and tires will really change a car's look.
napayshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

REPLACE THE BRAKE LINES they are 41 years old and it may not happen but if one bursts then no stopping power
ahiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

drive it til things start breaking then go from there
lucca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs