Why wont the carburetor on my mustang kick down? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Why wont the carburetor on my mustang kick down?

im new to working on cars so i have very little idea how to fix this... i have a 1965 mustang with the 289 and a four barrell holley on it.
the car was sitting for a long time so me and my dad have cleaned out all the fuel lines, replaced the fuel tank, and got some new fluids running through her.
we started her up and the engine turned over just fine and was running strong...the only problem is that she runs too strong and wont come back down.
if i stand next to the carbuerator and work the throttle by hand, its fine, but the arm doesnt seem to come back far enough to do it automatically.

im wondering if its just a simple spring problem (though the springs on there feel tight to me) or if its something with the carbuerators vacuum lines or what...

like i said im new to the game and my dad is stumped... please help me out...i wanna hit the road!!! haha
banjamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 02:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

A Mustang that year has throttle linkage, not a cable. Make sure it , along with the carburetor is clean and operates freely. I suggest getting a manual for the car so you can do all the "little jobs" it will require.
hristun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

it could be vac. related, also check your automatic choke and see if the linkage is free moving and the high speed idle is not hung up.
duran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like the cable is hangin up or the carb itself.... clean the carb with carb cleaner and use wd-40 on the moving parts.
hristun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If it was sitting for a long time ,the throttle cable is probably gummed up a bit, along with all the moving parts on the carb. Just get some carb cleaner and spray it according to directions on can. lubricate your throttle cable and it should drop back down to idle like it should. If that doesn't work just get a new spring and that will fix it for sure. Nice car by the way.
walthari81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I would suggest you look very carefully at the mechanical linkages and if cabled check that as well, what you need to look for is any binding or any area of interference(be sure the butterfly valves are not touching the manifold when they open as the clearences here can be extreemly close and you may need to raise the carbie of the manifold with a suitable spacer this was a problem on some change overs when a holley was fitted to the ford engine) if you dont find any intereference you might need to reset the float level as Holley carbs are very sensitive to correct float levels when you take the sight plug off the carb fuel should only just trickle out of the hole while the engine is running, if the correct level is set (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A NEW AND WORKING FIRE EXTINGUISHER ON HAND WHILE WORKING ON THE CARBIE) failing that you might need to take the carbie off the motor when or if you do this before you tear it down you can check to see if the fuel system is blocked or working properly by moving the linkage and watching for the fuel spray from the carbie, after which you can make sure it is clean inside, by blowing compressed air through the chambers and venturies it is usual for mud to be built up inside a carbie that has been sitting for a while be very careful not to loose any small balls or springs from within the carbie body when you take it apart be careful of the gaskets too , also check that the accelerator plunger is mooving freely in both directions you havent mentioned if it is a vacuum secondary or mechanical secondary you did say it was a holley There is a Holley Carburetter Book available it is worth every cent if you can get one it will give you plenty of valuable information I highly recommend it good luck
baldrik is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs