Who knows classic Mustangs? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Who knows classic Mustangs?

Does anyone offer a complete aftermarket wire harness? Does anyone offer a complete gasket,rubber,seal, grommet and felt kit? Who is the "go to" supplier for mustang parts and support? Is it better to re-chrome repair OEM chrome than to buy aftermarket new... cost vs. headaches? 1964 1/2 mustang coupe.
cheng-gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You'll need this site:
http://links.vintage-mustang.com/
You can completely build a new mustang from this website. You can also completely modify a mustang from this website.

I use California Mustang for most of my parts because it's local , shipping is cheap and is a good source for paint. You would want to consider shipping costs in your source selection. One thing I found is most ALL suppliers sell the same stuff.

Rechrome is a function on how original you want to keep the car. The percentage of original metal is important to some people who restore. You can get much better chroming on a re-chrome than you'll get with a new bumper. If you can afford it, re-chrome. It'll take several weeks as the bumper moves through the shop.

Join a local Mustang club - good source for help and those little bits of information that will keep it interesting.
lorren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

check with Painless Wiring for the harness as for the seals and grommets, try JC Whitney. For the chrome, if you can get good quality aftermarket chrome, I'd go that route, all the re chromed stuff I have ever seen has rust problems after about 6 months. There are companies out there that specialize in Mustang parts, you might try doing a search for them.
ashbbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

california mustangs only does those early models... and most of the time you can get the parts packaged together, like a seal kit instead of 15 different seals.
fitzsimons85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a free internet club to get you started
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicmustang/
wetherly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have owned several classic Mustangs. I currently (for last 12 years) own a '70 fastback. California Mustang is very good, although I prefer NPD because of the better prices they have, and depending on where you are in country, you will get your parts faster (they operate 4 warehouses around country). You can get all the replacement wiring from either of these 2 places, as well as most of classic Mustang suppliers around the country. You could get a kit from Painless, but these generally a re a bit universal, so you may still have some cutting, splicing, soldering to do, where as the reproduction harnesses will be a plug and play type deal.
As for the chrome, if you can, and have the money, rechroming at a good restoration type shop will give you far better results that buying new chrome parts. Also, nothing fits better than original Ford parts. The repro parts that are chrome sometimes suffer a bit with poor chrome quality. Repro chrome is a good for a driver, but it may not be as good as the original Ford parts. Cost of rechrome parts will be higher, but I think are worth it, plus it keeps the original parts on the car. But the turn around time will be longer to get parts chromed by a good shop, figure a few weeks, to a month depending on the size of the shop. If you can, get triple chrome plate, most durable and best shine.
Good luck with your Mustang
wetherly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

There are quite a few places. You can buy portions of the harness without having to replace the entire harness if parts of your's are still good. They are broken down into categories: under hood, lights, dash, etc. I've had several (including an original '66 I bought new, that I recently sold), and they are great cars that are easy to work on.

I've used the source below to get replacement parts for other Mustangs I've had. I got good parts at a fair price. With the internet, I would do a lot of price shopping, because there is a considerable difference in prices for the same part.

Generally it is cheaper to replace some chrome items than others. The tail light bezels are chromed pot metal and they don't replate too well. Bumpers replate well, but are so common that replacement ones are cheaper. It is an item by item thing.
Good Luck - Enjoy the Mustang!
shaddoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs