Need help on what to look for in a 1964 Ford Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Need help on what to look for in a 1964 Ford Mustang?

I've just spotted a 64 Mustang today at work that was up for sale. I called up the guy and he was asking for $5,800 for it with 68,000 mileage rebuilt engine, 3rd owner, Automatic. I'm seriously considering picking up the car. Since I was at work I couldn't test drive it (I do park field work). My question is, what do I look for in a classic Mustang so I won't get rip off or get a car that has too many issues. What are the pros and cons of the 64's that I should be aware of. I know nothing about American cars (sorry but I was born into the import scene all my life) but want this car. Are the price expensive and are the parts available if anything was to happen? Any concerns I should have? The link belong is the exact same look besides the convertible detail.
http://www.mustangsmustangs.com/ford...v_red_w7_2.jpg

Thanks for the help!
thormond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 01:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I hate to be the one to burst your bubble, but there is no 1964 Mustang, only the 65...the early production (April to Aug 64) are called 64 1/2's.. to tell if it is one, it has to have a engine code of one of these..D,F or U .. that's the last letter before the unit number.. I would shy away from a U code, you can spot them by their 4 lug wheels, they originally came with a 170 ci inline 6, but odds are it's been replace long ago. the problem with them is their small brakes, no good for stopping, so unless you are doing a complete resto rod with new everything don't go there..

and like the others have said, watch out for rust, especially in the subframe assemblies.. also make sure the dataplate on the door matches the vin on the top of the drivers fender...learn how to decode by printing out a vin decoder, there's one in the links of the group below..
sowingwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

you should look for quality engine.no smoke coming out of exhaust pipe, oil on the oil stick,uhhh...what else?good gas mileage,and clean interior(that means last owner took good care of it.)

P.S. im eleven years old but my dad is a car and airplane mechanic and i help him fix cars and we love buying old broken cars and fixing it up and washing it to see its true potential.

P.S.S. my GPA is 4.15 i'm a brainiac
lucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 01:42 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

you need to check for rust inside the trunk floor area around the rockers and 1/4 panels eng compartment area the front floor underneath the car check for rust, oil leaks, water leaks .. parts are avail new and are easy to find anything from top to bottom is avail in a mustang.
marcelinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:37 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

look at the gaps between all the body panels-- hood n fenders, door and fender, door and roof and back edge of the door to rear quarter, rust can be fixed twisted and tweaked metal is harder to move and fix.
agni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Like TAF 187 said, check floorboards on both sides in front under carpets, check floorboard in back, check for rust inside the trunk area, not just in the center but along the edges, check under doors (do not run your hand under there if there is rust, it will cut you), put the car up on a lift and check underneath for extreme rust or bent areas.
Every piece that was ever made for the car is available, Either used, or new.
If you have never driven a 64 Mustang your in for a treat. Very few of them had power steering and even the ones that did drive like the proverbial Log Truck compared to todays autos.
Get the vin number and go online and verify everything. Does it still have correct engine, transmission or does that even matter?
Fun car, always an eye catcher !
dumont75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Look for any sign of body work, you don't want a car that has a ton of bondo in it. Ask about the engine rebuild. Ask if it was a stock rebuild. Can't stress this point enough, don't be afraid to get down on your knees and check the floor boards and the frame rails. The mustangs rusted on the frame and floor boards really easy. Good luck with the car. If it looks near as good as the one in the picture you have found a gem.
christianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:30 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

check out the bodywork closely look at the lower quarter panels for bondo by placing a small magnet on them also look at the rear frame rails check for rust and look at the seals in the trunk and have the floor pan's looked at by a body shop and ask to see receipts for the engine rebuild to make sure it was rebuilt by a pro if this all check's out buy it 5,800 is cheep for a 641/2 mustang the Other poster was right about the year that's because it was released half way into the new model year that's why it's a 641/2
shan57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs