What's the biggest/most power full engine i can put on a 1964 1/2 mustang convertible? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What's the biggest/most power full engine i can put on a 1964 1/2 mustang convertible?

im getting one, I only know its a V8, but i want it to be one of the better mustangs rather than a slow one. what engine can i put in it and how fast and powerful will it be?
yitzchak8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

What's the biggest/most power full engine i can put on a 1964 1/2 mustang convertible?

Juan I work with people on Ebay to identify parts and help them with their classic Ford cars. I also own 3 old Ford Galaxies 60, 62 & 64 2 dr hardtops. I have been playing with Fords for years since I was 15, I'm now 53 and still own these cars and attend many shows.

There really is a 1964 1/2 Mustang. It truly is a rare car especially a convertible. Unless this car is already butchered or the engine was swapped out years ago and someone repainted it resale Red then I really do agree with D W in the first response. Save it if it is all complete with original parts, it can be worth a lot of money if restored back to original.

The difference between 64 1/2 to a 1965 Mustang is minimal but to a collector HUGE. The 64 1/2 has a generator where the 65 has an alternator. There is a difference in the radiator core support which is removed in 65 to 66. Engine options change in 65. The 260 V8 is only available in 1963 and 1964. It was originally used in Falcon and Fairlanes and 289 V8 was for larger cars but also optional in the Falcon, Fairlane and then the Mustang. In 1965 the 260 is dropped as an option, so 260 V8 are pretty rare and are the same except for bore and stroke of the 289. You can do a lot of upgrades to the 260 and 289 as they are. The 289 is NOT a 5.0 that is a 302. The 289 is used from 1963 to early 1968 models then the 302 takes over. Same basic motor as the 289 but bigger bore and stroke, also the 351 Windsor comes into play which is also the same block as the 289, 302 and 351 Windsor. The 302 is the 5.0 motor still used today. So 302 and 5.0 are the same basic motor. I have friends that have swapped the 5.0 straight into 64 Fairlanes, 65 Mustangs and even Galaxies.

There is an internal difference with the 64 Ford engines from 65 so they are pretty rare engines and you need to know what exact year you have if you rebuild. You also need to find out if it is a 260 or 289.

My suggestion to you is to buy books or read up on the Mustang and learn the difference, join a club and go to car shows and talk to people. This will give you a good idea on how you want to build your car. More than anything what ever you decide make sure you save those original parts and make it easy to put it back to original. It will be worth a lot more and do it right the first time.

The Mustang was introduced to the public April 17th 1964 at the Worlds Fair. Check the VIN to find out when yours was built, could be close to being number 1 then it is worth tons more.

Enjoy
panteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If you're getting a 64 1/2 and it has a V-8 in it, three things you should know.

1. It's either a 260 two barrel or a 289 four barrel, basically the same engine block. For those of you in the "younger" group, that's a 5.0.

2. Ford Motor Company never produced a 1964 or 1964 1/2 Mustang. They are actually 1965 Mustangs that were released in March 1964 to see how the public took to them.

3. As it stands, with the horsepower to weight ratio of a first gen Mustang and a smallblock, it already goes fast enough to kill you.
napier29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not going to get any points for this, but Dan W is right. If you agree with my answer, give him the credit.

If it's unmolested (no modifications to date) then you would not only decrease the value of the car by changing the engine, but deprive Mustang lovers of a chance to preserve a valuable example of the first year of production.

If you must build a Mustang hot rod, sell this one to someone who appreciates it as is, and use the money to buy a '66 6-cylinder, and use the money you save to resto-rod it.

My brother did that (He put in a 302 crate motor - your best option.) and ended up with a quick, good-looking daily driver that will not offend the Mustang Corral.
randkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

well if you want to but a bigger engine in there are alot of options you can work with. like alot of other ppl do you can drop in a 302ci or even a 351 block in that will make respectable power and do well on gas, if you want to go exotic and put in alot more work then you can go with a 400m, 427, 460,
fitzsimons85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

You totally have the wrong vehicle - it deserves better than "what's the biggest/most powerful engine........"
If you want a "better mustang" that's significantly faster and more powerful, get a later model 5.0 HO, LX or GT - don't destroy the 64 1/2 convertible.
chankoowashtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

1 Don't change engines, This is not some old;d car waiting to be hot rodded if it is still stock. A # matched 260 or 289 (2 V8 's available)is worth more than a hot rod. This is a restoration or a survivor car, Take it apart and build it up but keep it stock formed.
Without extensive mods any 5L will fit, I doubt that a 351 will but I don't know for sure.
You've got a gold mine, don't go looking for bauxite.
imported_sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Factory original was the 289 -302 which were ample and when tuned properly have plenty of power you can substitute w a 351 Windsor but you only gain 49 cu in that is only 6.125 per cyl not much keep it as original as possible it will be worth more
artzai is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs