I have a 1965 Mustang fastback with starting issues? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-26-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I have a 1965 Mustang fastback with starting issues?

1965 mustang fastback, 289, auto.
It seems like the battery is dead, I have thrown a charger on it and it shows fully charged within a few minutes. Also I have tried a jump box and that does nothing. all it does is clicks and if I hold the key to the start position the solenoid starts smoking and the wires and or terminals where the wire going down to the starter get HOT. The starter is 6 months old, as is the battery. Anyone have any suggestions?
breandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds as if you either have a bum solenoid or the starter is seized.
Try bypassing the solenoid to see if the starter turns, just bump it, don't hold the bypass for any longer then a couple of seconds. You can do this by completing a circuit between both the big terminals on the solenoid, use a jumper cable.
If the starter fails to turn, try giving it a couple of good wacks with a hammer, this may loosen it enough to be able to start the car. I used to have to do this on an old 74' Torino I had until I could replace the starter.
If the starter still fails to turn, pop it off and take it to a major chain auto parts store, they can check it on a machine, if it is bad you are already where you need to be to get a new one! By the way, while your there, get a new solenoid too, last time I bought one they were only around 10 bucks.
tully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There are only two situation that I have seen the starter wire gets that hot. The engine was filled with water from a cracked block. The starter was shorted internally. The later is much easier to fix.
Turn the engine as mentioned above, then.
Take out the starter and try to run it with jumper cables.
lysander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Its the solenoid shorting. This usually happens when there is “Gouk” in the solenoid, replace it.
eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like the starter is seized up or has an internal electrical short. Take it back to where you bought it.
llyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

check the ground wires on it real good,my grandson has one of those cars ,and it did this when a ground wire came loose and wasn't making good connection on it,a bad starter will also cause it,and even a new starter will go bad instantly ,good luck with it.
breandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I would try replacing the battery and starter again. And check all wires. If that doesn't work and you don't know what to do, don't risk of messing up the car; take it to a highly-respectable, certified mechanic. He (or she) should know what's wrong. Get it fixed, and enjoy your antique auto.
keandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Make sure that solenoid is tight against the inner fender and not lose. If the solenoid is not tightened correctly it won't start. AMC's had a Ford ignition system and I paid a guy $90.00 for a great condition Javelin because he claimed the starter was gone. Gave him $90.00 tightened the solenoid and drove off. The solenoid can't be lose or any lose wires or it will do as you say.

If everything is tight and the wires are hooked correctly to the starter then take a hammer to the starter and try to knock the bendix lose. This might sound nuts but thats what you do, hit the starter in the side, you can't break it. Then try starting it again. If it still doesn't work try a new solenoid and if that doesn't work replace the starter.

I've owned and worked on 60's Fords for over 35 years. Good luck.
pryderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

sounds like you got a bad starter, have it tested
wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

make sure the engine not locked up you can put a 15/16 in socket on the crankshaft bolt and turn (make sure key is off ) you can turn it over your starter is most likey bad
jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:18 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The starter solenoid is stuck. You may have to get a new starter or try tapping it with a hammer.
allister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

if you can`t figure that problem out you SHOULD NOT have a 1965 mustange fastback YOU ARE NOT WORTHY
arlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Fix it.
eifion is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1965 mustang