66 mustang performance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

66 mustang performance?

Hey Hey, i recently got a 66 mustang and for some reason it doesnt haul ***, i mean its a v8 but if i floor it the alternator pops a lil bit and it takes a lil bit of time to speed up. the engine is rebuilt and the car is completely stock i dont want to modify much cause i wanna keep it all original but i would like to know if anyone knows what maybe wrong with the car i mean do i have to run it a bit or maybe the timing is off or ..... i dont know i know many old cars have power in them but mine just wont take off as i expected its a 289 engine and its real clean and nice thats just the only thing i cant figure out, why it wont burn out.. please help......Thank You..
finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

66 mustang performance?

It probably needs a tune-up, ignition points and condenser, and new spark plugs will make a big difference !
lysander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

66 mustang performance?

Those Mustangs just didnt have much power back then. You had to buy the "Hi-Po" V8 to get 271 Horsepower.
Todays Mustang V6 is more powerful than your V8.
You are going to need some mods like a set of headers, electronic ignition, a different camshaft and a 4 barrell carburetor and intake manifold. Maybe even some hhigh compression heads. You are looking at lots of money.
I would just drive it and enjoy it for waht it is- a classic. And buy a neweer Mustang for the performance driving.
rashane is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs