Ford Mustang/Shelby 1965-1969, help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Mustang/Shelby 1965-1969, help?

Hello, I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this because I know I'm gonna get a lot of sh** from major car enthusiasts, but how do I tell if the price is right for a Mustang/Shelby? I'm inexperienced with Mustangs but I've fallen in love with them. I also wanna know what's the average upkeep cost of owning a '65 to '69?
jukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I can't answer your questions, I'm sorry, but I wanted to say I think you have superb taste in cars because these were the coolest, sweetest, greatest cars ever built. There is nothing else quite like them, and never will be again.

If you get an opportuity to own one, you are so-o-o-o-o-o-o lucky!
Arend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Follow the link below to one site that lists the type of car you have an interest in. The second link is for a "re-creation" at $49,000.

An original could easily be ten times that. In fact, the Barrett Jackson Auction in Las Vegas this past winter sold a GT500 "authorized" recreation for $175,000, with the announcer commenting that an original had recently pulled three quarters of a million!

The car, of course, must be flawless. A beat up original, if you can find one, should be way less, as restoration is a very costly process, even if you do it yourself.

Since parts can not be bought from Auto Zone, maintenance and upkeep will be very costly, as well.

BTW, the current "Shelby" Mustang will smoke these older cars, and cost a lot less. But any ORIGINAL Shelby purchased today and kept in good condition can reasonably be expected to increase in value as time goes by. So, if you are in a position to get one of these cars, and you drive it only occasionally, you can expect to make a profit a few years from now, so the car will be free.

Jay Leno bought a McLaren F1 not so long ago for 800K, and one of them recently pulled over 4M at an auction, so his net cost of ownership is now a negative 3.2M! Better than free! IF, you can round up the buy in, and you get the right car, cost is literally no object!
berkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Can't really say on the price. It can be $400,000 for a concorde '65 Shelby or $1000 for a 6 cylinder rust bucket. Your have to see what people are trying to sell it for in your local area. If you want a fastback, I think the min is $10,000 and it'll goes higher for better condition one.

Upkeep is like a normal '60 car, in fact it should be cheaper because most people has put in modern electronics and parts and are still very available. But I would not use it as a daily driver.
jakome is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs