Gas mileage of classic mustang coupe? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Gas mileage of classic mustang coupe?

I am looking at buying a mustang coupe between 1965-1968, and i was wondering what kind of gas mileage i can expect. I am looking to get one that has a 6 cylinder(200 straight six) with a manual transmission, and if I can, a single barrel carburetor. Im not looking for a racecar or a hotrod, I just love the classics. What kind of gas mileage could I expect out of this, and what could i do to improve it without spending a ton of money? I have heard claims that putting a few ounces of acetone in the gas tank helps...is this true? What about leaning out the jets of the carb? Any help appreciated.
felippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

it all depends on the condition of the engine, when mine was fairly new I got 15 around town and 25 on the freeway at 70mph, but with over 100,000 on the engine the mileage dropped to 20 on the highway..
imported_darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Actually, if most of your driving is in the city, an overdrive transmission would be pretty much over kill since you're going to get into overdrive in the city.
My granddaughter has a '66 with the 200 six and an automatic transmission.
I asked her, and she said she gets around 18-19 mpg average (mostly city).
Don't lean it out or re-jet the carburetor and leave the acetone in the acetylene tank.
Simply keep it in good tune along with clean filters.
gaven60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I would say if you have to ask you should probably get something that you know is better on gas.
berkeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Figure about 20 MPG highway

There is no magic bullet that will give you better fuel mileage.

Myth busters busted the acetone myth. This may decrease your mileage and could damage your engine.

Just keep it well tuned and maintained.

The six banger will have a single barrel carburetor.

You could add an aftermarket electronic ignition and a high output coil. But this will only give marginal increases in fuel economy.

You could end up throwing a lot of money at it and gain a few extra MPG. But you have to ask yourself this question. How many miles will I need to drive this car before I save enough money in fuel to pay for all of these modifications?

I would keep it as stock as possible. Modifications made to a classic car will take away from it's value. If you can't afford the gas, then maybe you can't afford the car.
taurino is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs