Just bought a 1972 mustang - question about maintenance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Just bought a 1972 mustang - question about maintenance?

I just got myself a 72 mustang with a 351 cleveland 4v, however I'm not really a "mechanic" and I'm wondering is maintenance expensive for this car? Are parts expensive as well? Sorry it's really a broad question, but although I love classic muscle cars, I'm not really an "engine" guy...
fearghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

great car, good motor ,cheap maintenance, cheap parts, go to www.cjponyparts.com for anything you need i do for my 68.
jeremias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

shouldn't be .Plugs /wires /cap and router is or should be about 40-50$ .Air filter/oil 5 quarts and a filter should run 20-25$ more. should be about it. Make sure the trans filter and oils been changed .It depends on what you want to do with that a full flush and filter 100$ or a filter and oil about 20-30$ in trans stuff. Last a full radiator flush is like 60$
mather is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Get the manuals and some of the repair will be easy. I have several years of ford experience and find parts are reasonable and available. I still would pay a shop for any repairs that involve banging crap in my eyes. Hook up to a school and find about monitoring classes. Maintenance may seem expensive but it is saving the vehicle from expensive repair.
avsalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Parts are plentiful and cheap.
Older cars are easier to work on too.
You'll get there.
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The beauty of owning an old car is ease of maintenance, repairs, and modifications. You don't have to abide by the rules set for new cars, to a point.

Buy yourself a repair manual specifically for your car. This will give you the the information you need to do repairs and maintenance, and help give you confidence to do this yourself. Parts and maintenance generally cost much less than for newer cars, but the intervals can be more often.

A decent repair manual can be bought at an auto parts store for $20-$30. When you have questions, that's what we're here for. You are welcome to make me a contact if you like. I have fixed and modified many makes and models from the 60's to the 00's.

You got a cool car. Good luck with it!
sidney16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1972 mustang