Classic muscle car - problem starting? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-05-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Classic muscle car - problem starting?

Hello, I recently bought a 1972 Mustang coupe with a 351 cleveland V8 2bbl (new engine, 80,000 miles on it). It drives fine, the only thing is it has trouble starting in cold weather. I do body/interior work, but I know very little about engines. I drive the car on average once a day. I talked to my mechanic, he told me how to start it properly (don't keep pumping the gas, you'll just flood the carbuerator). Plus I just got a new ignition, with the battery churning out 14.7. Alternator is fine, the car starts good in some weather, but why does it struggle in the cold?
trenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 04:03 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Choke may not be working.
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Those old 2-barrels had "Micky-Mouse" chokes. Sounds like its failing to close and giving you too much cold air. Warm air mixes the fuel better.
Take off the air-cleaner and "goose" the gas one time with the ignition turned on. The choke butterfly should be closed. If not, you found your problem. A great fix is to get an Eddlebrock 4 bbl manifold and 600 carb with electric choke. The Cleveland engine will love it and so will you.
kinsella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2010, 04:50 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

next time before you start it, remove the top to the air filter housing so that you can look down the carb. tap the gas just once, this should let the choke close, if it does not this sis your problem, either the linkage is binding or severely out of adjustment.
duran is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs