Should I buy a 1965 or 1966 Ford Mustang as my first car; Dont need to worry about insurance? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Should I buy a 1965 or 1966 Ford Mustang as my first car; Dont need to worry about insurance?

Well, I am 17 and in search of my first car; I have my eyes on the Mustang but don't know if that is the car I should purchase. I really, really want this car (its beautiful and chicks dig it!) but if I buy this car I want it to be an investment. Generally does an individual total or crash his/her first car if so then I would rather wait? My other options are the 1994-2001 Prelude, 1988-1991 CRX or the 1995-1999 Integra. Insurance isn't a problem because I am going to claim my grandpa's car, an Astro. Which one do you prefer the 65 or 66? Thanks
eloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Should I buy a 1965 or 1966 Ford Mustang as my first car; Dont need to worry about insurance?

wow, some people should not be allowed to answer questions on this site! those who say old cars drive like crap have probably never actually driven one, or if so it was poorly treated. also when u ask 65 or 66 people should not tell u to get a 64 or 67! So, heres what i think. OK for starters, DONT GET A HONDA! If you are a good driver (be truthful) get the Mustang. a car make in 1965/6 is, unlike some people think, a very driveable car, even for daily use. However it does require skill. There are no antilock brakes. this is actually a good thing if pure stopping power is wanted, but you can't steer while braking, so u need to know how to tap the brakes. No power steering either, so parallel parking will be much less than fun, but once your out on the road you can "feel" the car. The frame will need to be well taken care of. if it is currently rust free, add subframe connectors to increase rigidity. if its rusty have it repaired first. upgrade your suspension too, KYB makes great shocks for the money. also you may consider upgrading the out of date accesories, such as radio, speakers, windshield wipers (put on an intemittent switch), and others. Finally, if you have the money and want a real calssic, try and get a 289 with the 4 speed on the floor. they are great! now, thats my take on the Mustangs you have mentioned. I have given you the bright side mostly, to counter the negative comments posted here. Now, if you dont think you are ready for a Mustang, or dont know if you have the time and funds yet, please dont buy a Honda! if you want a front drive for a starter car i recommend the newer model Ford Probe. its sporty and quick and made in America! if you can handle rwd but dont trust yourself in a classic yet, go with a 1987-1993 or 1994-1998 Mustang or a late 80s to late 90s Pontiac Firebird or Chevy Camaro. they arent classics, but they can be had relatively cheap and are made in the states. this is my opinion, hope you find it useful!
redvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

i have a 641/2 tiltled as a 65 the first year they were produced which holds collector value to them as far as holding for an investment that depends on whether its original or has had different engine etc and the condition of it you are not going to get an investment grade 65 or 66 mustang for anywhere close to what you can pick the others cars you mentioned for
kolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

don't forget the early ones, 64, that's what I have.. the first 2 years are almost identical, just different grills, dash and gas cap. but there are subtle differences, like over 100 of them..

I would start with a early one, a fix'er up'er, and learn as you drive,then when your ready, buy that primo one of your dreams..
finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

be prepared to have down time with any old car. I recommend having an older car, cause you can work on it. There will be days that thing is going to be broke down. Just remember that.
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

early Mustangs are great looking cars but

They don't handle like a modern car
Their brakes stink
They are prone to rust

(these are true of all cars of this era)

I do not think this is a good choice for a first car
Jorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

i like the 67s the best(they look meaner and more muscely)

Also consider it is a 45 year old car and will drive as such.

Meaning- no power brakes - takes way longer to stop
no power steering - takes some muscles to trun
no overdrive - engine winds up at hiway speeds
no safety features and poor mpg
not very reliable-you dont want to be stuck in the parking lot after school looking like a tool when your car wont start(happened to me in 84 truck)

if you drive one of the new cars you will know for sure they are better
kent12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I've owned both.

I was more fond of the '66 due to the little refinements they made such as the much better instrument cluster. I like the side scoops better.

In regards to the investment do you want to keep it classic stock, restomod it or rod it out? Each has their own following and will keep the investment -- it all depends on the circle you're in. I would suggest you pick up a good '66 driver and start making mods that suit your taste. You won't get nearly as much satisfaction in this arena if you buy a ricer.

Check this site out for help, tips, parts, cars and other support:
http://links.vintage-mustang.com/
mather is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs