Who taught you how to drive? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #71
Registered Member
Regular

Who taught you how to drive?

Ten hut! Keys in ignition, adese.
rosiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #72
on
Registered Member
Regular

ha, ha, ha!!! It is mandatory in my native country.
on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:31 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular

My dad taught me how to drive first and then the driving instructor.
merlow26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

I was a very nervous driver. I went through like 10 or so teachers who all swore off of teaching me. My dad even refused to teach me. Two of my younger siblings learned to drive before I did. One of my work bosses swore she could teach me how to drive, so she decided to try to teach me in her stick shift trans am. NOT GOOD. Lets put it this way, I've burnt out the clutch in SEVERAL stick shift vehicles. The first place she took me was on the highway. By the time I got off the road, my knees were like jelly, I thought for sure that car was going to end up a pretzel. That didn't last very long. I finally had to pay someone who "specialized" in nervous drivers. The guy was excellent. Though, I do think, like you shared, he had his foot on the "special" brake the whole time. That did work out, and he taught me a lot of little "tricks" that I hadn't known before (I am visually impaired) to help me gain confidence in my driving ability. It's been amazing. I passed my driving test with a perfect score!
bartlett14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

My dad taught me directions and I learned to drive in a 90 foot long station wagon that felt like I was floating a boat. I also learned how to drive on the dieway during Drivers Ed. It was me, Vince Romo and Lynn Ross, the three "R", I'll let you figure out my last name, and my poor instructor had his foot on the "special" brake all the time. Tell me your fond memory about learning how to drive.
cristobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:19 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular

I learned in a station wagon, both at home with my sister part of the time, but also when I I have 2 older sisters WITH CARS, so I wasn't always in the big station wagon, but I didn't mind driving it......I was driving!! The most fun was the similator we had during driver's ed. A steering wheel and a screen in front of us as we drove. On the days when our scores didn't count, there were more people run over than was necessary.
ashbbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:48 AM   #77
Registered Member
Regular

I remember the simulator, I would always floor it, I think I killed the same grandmother 20 times.
kolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:39 AM   #78
Registered Member
Regular

After three or so lessons wiht my father in an empty car park I joined a driving school as it is the only way you can get your license. You have to take a minimum of lessons in a school unless you have a driving licesense from another country that can be convalidated for a European one.
imported_archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:07 AM   #79
Registered Member
Regular

I can't drive. I'm terrified. I have panic attacks anytime I try to sit in the drivers side of the car. It's dumb, and I wish I could overcome it.
dagoberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #80

I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you can try again sometime.
Aulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:36 AM   #81
Registered Member
Regular

I taught myself in a 1975 Vega station wagon that had a foue speed in it,I was killing it all the time LOL but I did it and that is all that counts.Have a great night.
adron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:13 AM   #82
Registered Member
Regular

My dad taught my brother and I how to drive in parking lots and the backroads of our town. Our very first lessons were, however, on a riding mower cutting the grass. lol Once we had the mower mastered, only then would he take us out in the car for more practice. We both passed our driver's ed with flying colors.
ann15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 AM   #83
Registered Member
Regular

Lawn care and drivers ed, I'm going to remember that when it comes time.
stanwyk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

I went to Learning Center and paid for $100 us. It took about one month and I past my driving lesson. It tired learning under the hot sun and the neck really painful. The instructor was not so bad.
redvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

My Mom taught me to drive. I just enjoyed spending the time together. She was very patient and instructive. I miss those times we shared together. She was my best friend. One of my ex boyfriends taught me to drive a standard shift, but that didn't go over to well since all he knew how to do was yell and put me down all the time, but oh well....glad its over.
sydeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #86
wit
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sure you are. After you learned how to drive you should have left him on the curb.
wit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

First thing I've ever driven was one of those go carts when I was 7... I liked it so much I practically drove it everyday behind my house after school... It wasn't too long after first driving that thing to actually getting out on to the street... I first took it out on the street, not a main road or anything, but out in the street far enough to pick up few small groceries for my mother... Since then, I've been all over the town with that little thing, going to friend's house, going to school, etc... When I turned 10, I drove a car for the first time with my brother... I drove to myself to back of the school & he drove it back home... I've been driving a car ever since...
arlen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #88
Registered Member
Regular

30 years huh? Attention!! We've got a professional hanging out on myLot!
booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Ultimatley, I learned in Drivers Ed but my uncle used to take me prior to that and it was actually funny because he used to take me in the cemetary to learn how to drive and I always practiced using an automatic, but one day he said he wante dto teach me how to drive a stick shift and he was explaining the gears and the clutch and as I became overwhelmed, I said oh don't worry about explaining all of that I just wont use the clutch and his answer was GET OUT and FORGET IT!.... I never learned how to drive a stick shift!
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #90
Registered Member
Regular

Uncles are so much fun aren't they.
banjamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

No because thinking back I think it would've been hilarious to see me driving a stick shift!
tedmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

It was my husband who taught me and we did it in a secluded mountainous place to avoid hitting someone. It's quite a memory to keep because you know I went to the gutter many many times and suffered flat tires a number of times because of my failure to control the wheels from going to rough spiky places, ha! ha! ha ! My husband's face could not be drawn even by the best Painter!
celyddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #93
Registered Member
Regular

My dad taught me directions and I learned to drive in a 90 foot long station wagon that felt like I was floating a boat. I also learned how to drive on the dieway during Drivers Ed. It was me, Vince Romo and Lynn Ross, the three "R", I'll let you figure out my last name, and my poor instructor had his foot on the "special" brake all the time. Tell me your fond memory about learning how to drive.
field is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

I learned driving more than 30 years ago. I took lessons from a professional driving instructor, paying him for more than 30 hours of driving instruction. In the end, I passed the driving test only on my third attempt, and never looked back since, because driving is a great skill to acquire. I have been driving since the age of 18. I remember I had some frustrations dealing with this instructor. One was that sometimes, he will ask me to drive to the market, and while there, he will have a cup of coffee while I wait for him in the car (and I am paying him for this time he is using to have his coffee!!). Sometimes, he will just ask me to just drive continuously on the roads without making me practice other skills like parking, reversing, making U-turns, etc. I have to ask him to let me do some practices, then he will direct me to a quiet road to practice these. Ironically, I failed twice having him as my instructor, and then I decided enough was enough and I changed instructor, took another few hours of lessons and passed on my third attempt.
beamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

My boyfriend who was 8 yrs older than me taught me to drive in his V8 cause and dad wouldn't let me near his car. I remember the first time I stopped at a round-a-bout there was another car on it and I freaked, I jumped out of the car and said "Ok you take over now" I remember my boyfriend at the time saying "You can't do that !". Well I did & he had to drive it off the round-a-bout.LOL
finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:33 PM   #96
Registered Member
Regular

My brother gave me my first driving lessons when I was thirteen. Just in the driveway, lol. In Germany you don't get your license before you are 18. My dad took me to an empty supermarket parking lot and we practiced there. In Germany you also have to attend driving school and take a certain amount of lessons before you are allowed to take the test. There is no way around that. Anyhow, my driving instructor told me to drive to the next town. It was my third or fourth lesson with him. We took this curvy road over a hill into the next town. There is a restaurant at the bottom with a big hedge around it. Just when I got there a hearse was backing out of the restaurant's entrance way without checking for traffic. I jumped on the brakes and came to a stop just a handwidth away from the hearse. My instructor had not seen it coming out of there until I jumped on the brakes. Since I managed to avoid a crash, my instructor was so trusting that for the remainder of my required amount of lessons he was mostly doing paperwork. When it was time for me to take my test and I passed, he told the test guy the story, too, lol. I guess he was impressed
fane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

my mother let me drive her car in an old dmv parkin lot whenit had closed down. i enjoyed it so much. i like to drive now. i love motorcycles jus gotta be careful. do u enjoy driving an automatic or a manual car. i like manuals myself
stanwyk55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs