Is a 1969 mustang a dangrous car to drive? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2010, 02:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Is a 1969 mustang a dangrous car to drive?

My parents saw a news article that said all classic mustangs we're metal death traps, and are vary dangerous. I'm hoping to prove my parents wrong and hit the road with a shiny new 69 mustang fastback :]
merla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 03:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

ONLY if it has a big block and you have a big foot !
napier29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The 1969 Mustang:

The first was a non-Ram Air version, followed by the Ram-Air version which breathed through a shaker hood scoop. Topping the list was the new Super Cobra Jet which came with the Drag Pack option. The Super Cobra Jet used the shaker hood scoop, a modified crankshaft and stronger connecting rods. The Drag Pack also came with limited-slip 3.91:1 or 4.30:1 rear axles and no air conditioning. All three engines were underrated at 335bhp. All this power overwhelmed the rear tires, which suffered from a 59/41% f/r bias which also hurt handling. But then, these Mustangs weren't built for curves, just straight 1/4 mile lines.

This car was built for drag races and has no air conditioning.
this car has so much horsepower at the rear wheels it would not build enough traction in time to take off smoothly, resulting in shocking handling.

so do the maths;

Young inexperience driver + overwhelming horse power + terrible handling = EVER PARENTS WORST NIGHTMARE!
derrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm 18, own a 96' mustang gt and its loud. Cops don't mess with me like people say they do but the car has almost cost me my life a few times. One time for example, the ball joint went bad at 90mph on the interstate and lucky for me, The tire didnt get ****** sideways to where the car could have flipped. Another time the driveshaft bolts came loose at the rear and lucky i caught it in time since i'm constantly doing 110 on the interstate. Another time, which was my own fault, i was doing 60mph getting off of the interstate, which was too fast for the turn i was on, and i went flying over the 8" sidewall and bent bought rims, blew one of the brand new tire, and resulted in having to redo the whole front end suspension including struts and strut tower that also bent the hood.
camden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The '69 isn't nearly as inherently dangerous as the earlier Mustangs. The earlier Mustangs, for instance, had a solid steering column shaft from the steering wheel to the steering box - very dangerous in a frontal collision.
I own a '70 - obviously, it isn't equipped with air bags, anti lock brakes, door reinforcements, front crush zone or many other new model safety features - then again, neither are any of the vintage vehicles from the '50's, '60's, '70's.and before - but it's a heck of a nice car to go cruising in. I wouldn't trade it for a new one just because of the nostalgia factor, and, besides, in my opinion, these older vehicles come from an era when cars were an artistic achievement by the designers rather than a mundane vehicle that meets all of the federal mandates.
Kermichil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

It depends on your definition of "safety"

When it comes to "collision", nearly EVERYTHING made from mid 1970's and back is EXTREMELY STRONG.

These cars are basically small tanks and LOADED with heavy american steel, they will take impacts EASILY and STILL be fully driveable.

The PROBLEM is with the driver safety.

When you got a car that weighs 5000lbs of solid steel, and a driver with no seatbelt and airbags.
Basically what happens is the driver either goes thru the window, or the driver just gets mashed up inside that steel box of a car.

You could take a 1970 el dorado and drive it head on into a telephone poll at 50mph, the driver would walk away, and the car would still be in one piece, possibly even driveable.

You do that **** in a honda civic, you're DEAD, period.

Car's today are meant to Disperse and Absorb energy.

Car's back in the 70's were designed to TAKE impact by means of superior steel and strength basically......

So if you're getting an older car, they are EXTREMELY safe and solid.
They are WAAAAYY stronger than todays cars PERIOD.

But the DRIVER needs to be wearing a solid bolted seatbelt and i would install an airbag system/sensor system in the front bumper.
westbroc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well, it reflects the standards of 1969 - forty years ago! So the brakes, suspension, steering and general safety equipment such as seat belts crumple zones and so on are basic - did it even have airbags? Probably not, so no ABS or anti-skid either.

As long as you drive it with care, remember it's not some modern lead sled or stoplight dragster it will be fine. It's possible to uprate much of the original equipment, put in bigger brake discs and pads, convert rear drums to discs, adjustable shocks, uprated steering mechanism, modern seat belts.

Enjoy your classic set of wheels!
cormic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

classic cars are not known for safety it does not matter on the car this issue sorta has come to light with experience of auto manufacturers these older cars were not built to crumple and abosrb stresses in an accident the old big cars tend to place horrible stresses on occupants " i know a stang is not a big car but old cars kinda all do the same thing in a wreck" modern cars spread the load across the entire construction of the car which modern cars focus their construction on thus the old parents rule of big car = safe is false however ANY car in the hands of a jackass driver is going to equal failure ... an inexperinced driver in a classic car is generally a bad idea but with cautious driving it can work out ... relying on the internets specifically yahoo answers to provide your parents confidence on the safety of a vehicle is nonsense so the point of this is naught but an early model mustang is a solid vehicle that should not be discounted due to its outdated engineering methods and on an off note the odds of finding a late 60's mustang in your price range in a driveable condition are awesome good luck
Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

all these people are wrong except rejected zipper, its an old car, it has an old transmission and you gotta take it easy in it, you cant just floor it or you will blow your transmission. thats really the only issue, but theyr'e just as safe as any other car. if you drive it easy it will be a great car.
eimhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:23 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I owned a '69 Mustang, a Mach1 w/390 325 HP 4 spd. This was not a dangerous car as long as I kept my foot out of it.
And where do you plan on getting a "shiny new" '69 Mustang? When you find them, please get one for me !
ahiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

the trend now is on safety. if you upgrade the safety elements of the 69 such as the brakes, handling, seat belts its no more dangerous than any other car. it just wont have air bags unless u want to modify something up and put them in. just be aware that the air bag unit IS an explosive device
auley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:32 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

a car is only as dangerous as the person driving it.
if you drive recklessly, well you know..

it's relativly safe, it isn't super structurally sound though, it's built for speed remember.
colbert31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I builded one with a 460 big block, nice blower and a good 4 disc brakes and tires, and it was NASTY... on the street and on the track. So if U wannit to be nasty, do some work first...
ephrayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Not particularly dangerous with a sane, experienced driver. Without such a driver NO car is safe.
norbert41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

let's see, not designed with crashes in mind, probably has lap belts, crappy drum brakes, probably no side-impact door beams, crappy head rests, bad weight distribution, relatively fast

not very safe!
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Since you say it's a "shiny new 69 mustang fastback", I think you should just take public transportation from now on bunky.

There are no more shiny-new 69 ...anythings.
gilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Driver is what makes the car dangerous
stanwyk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

For a teenager with a new license and a thirst for speed, it definately is.
trenten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I believe there thinking of the pinto
berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

don't be dumb on the road and race or speed thats how they are death traps
eljin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:46 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Not at all. Just don't go and roll ir over..
jerad9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1969 mustang