General Questions About Classic Cars? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

General Questions About Classic Cars?

My family and I are thinking ahead of what car to get for me to drive. (I don't have my license yet. =) ) But, people are always amazed by good of a driver I am. ( I want to be a bus drivers someday among other things.) I am looking around for a classic 50's car under $20,000. Is is expensive to replace whitewalls, etc. We have a 1964 and a half mustang, but it needs a new transmission ( automatic blech.I like manuals.) I want to drive this as an everyday car. I'm looking at Belairs and some Pontiacs. Any suggestions? What about insurance? The old cars are built like tanks- and gas is more expensive- but my parents wanted to ge me a truck. I don't want one unless it's a diesel.
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I drive a 63 Falcon Futura, 67 Mustang, and a 99 Grand Marquis, though I don't know why a young person would want an old car, usually old people like old cars, things of the past, insurance is cheap, though it because of 3 cars, can't be in all 3 at once, I guess. Trouble with old cars is, when they break, or need repair, parts are hard to find, keep that in mind
hassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

get a diesel

before fuel injection, electronic ignition, computer controls, etc; vehicles required a great deal more maintenance - and they were not as reliable.

old cars were heavy, and were not designed to protect the occupants. If a Smart and a '58 Chevy had a head on collision, the occupants of the Smart would have a much better chance of survival and fewer injuries than those in the Chevy.
hastiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

File this web address for future use.
myclassiccar.com has a menu for parts makers from every era,including wide whitewall tires.
Did you see Disney's "CARS" the sheriff was a '53 Hudson Hornet that won Nascar championships in '51,52,and 53.
The '55-57 Ford's were overshadowed by the Chevy's but beautiful,the '57 Ford Fairlane droptop is great and the Mercuries.
This weekend checkout Speed channel's Barrett-Jackson auto Auction.
finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I always get a laugh when people who don't have a clue answer questions like this. Most classics are held in high esteem because they are rare and as such, are not used as "daily drivers". Insurance is available from places like Hagarty for very reasonable rates, but there are stipulations on how many miles you can drive them in a year. Parts are plentiful, especially for those like Mustang, Camaro and other popular makes and models. As far as getting a Diesel truck...Why would you want one unless you are in need of the power and torque for towing or hauling heavy loads. They are noisy and a lot more expensive for maintenance (oil changes etc). Some old cars are built very sturdy and some are relatively light weight (Mustang would fall into the lightweight category) Do some research and then make an educated decision on what would be the best choice for you and your needs. Good luck.
breandan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs