Holley vs. Edelbrock vs. Demon? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Holley vs. Edelbrock vs. Demon?

I am on a quest for a carburetor for my 1967 Ford F-100 and need a few questions answered that I could not find anywhere else.

1. I have a Holley 600cfm on my Mustang (302cu) and get between 19-20 mpg average on the highway so would an Edelbrock 600cfm improve my fuel mileage or decrease it? How about a Demon? (I have heard that Edelbrock carburetors are good on fuel.)

2. Does the Demon keep/hold a tune like the Edelbrock or is it just like the Holley as far as not holding its tune? (Have to tune up my Holley once a year and it feels like I gain 10hp every time.)

3. Is the Demon a good quality carb? I have heard horror stories about people finding metal shavings inside 'em and the company not honoring the warrenty.

I will either go with a Edelbrock AVS, Road Demon, or a traditional Holley, and does anybody have any experience with any of these besides the Holley? The carb will be going on a 352cu FE (bored .030 to 357cu) attached to a 4 speed Borg-Warner T-18 manual transmission. The engine is stock besides the camshaft (203 in. & 216 ex. @ .050), headers, and Edelbrock Performer intake on top. It's not a road warrior apparently but it will be my daily driver and I want it to be trustworthy out on the open road. Oh, one other thing is that the size of the carburetor will be around 650cfm, would I also need mechanical secondaries with the manual transmission or would vacuum secondaries work just as well?
I think that's it, your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ann15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Registered Member

The last (Carter) now Edelbrock I had was on a 63 Impala 300 horse 327. As far as I was concerned it performed flawlessly. Having owned vacuum secondary Holley 580's and two 750's I was never thrilled with their fuel economy.

People looked down their nose at Rochester Quadrajets but they were simple to work on and had great part-throttle tip-ins. You see the Edelbrock and Quadrajet have a lot in common. Metering rods, big accelerator pump piston and vacuum secondaries. In my humble opinion I like the tun-ability of replaceable jets and metering rods. Lets face it, without smaller primary venturis and sharp primary metering system a street car goes nowhere.

I can't pass judgement on a Demon as none of the circle track guys are allowed by rules to use them. I don't have a clue if they work well or not!

I'd option for the Edelbrock in a heartbeat. At first I thought you were putting the Edlebrock on the 302, in which case I was going to recommend a 500 CFM Edelbrock. As I read further it's going on a bored 352. I'll be perfectly honest with you, I think a 600 Edelbrock or smaller would work better for the following reason: We have a late-model dirt car series ( BRP Can Am Late Model Series) which is limited to a 360 cubic inch Ford or Chevy. Chryslers can run 370 inches. Any cast iron head ( Dart Platinum 50 cc cumbustion chamber) any intake, any headers, any spark ignition and any flat tappet cam . I've seen dyno sheets on these motors 530 - 545 hp. with 515 lb. ft. of torque. * * I saved the best for last. By rule they must run one legal 500 cfm Holley 2 barrel. Everybody spends $800.00 for a Willies carb. The venturi's are checked religiously at inspection. These motors turn 7300 -7600 RPM's.

I don't think a bored 352 will be turning over 7,000 rpm. Therefore I think you'd get a bigger kick in the pants on the street with a smaller carburetor, something along the lines of 500 cfm.

lleweliyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

I have Edelbrock 750's on both of my old cars and they run great and you don't have to mess with them, a good carb if you want to put it on and forget about it.
Felten is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs