1973 Ford Bronco 302 and AOD transmission question? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1973 Ford Bronco 302 and AOD transmission question?

I have a 1973 Ford Bronco that had a 3 speed manual transmission. I am going back with a AOD transmission. I was wandering if anyone out there could help me figure out what would be the best vehicle, year, make, and model to get a 302 and a AOD transmission out of. Ive been told a 89 mustang is the best but not sure. I know that will have to get the adapter to bolt up the dana 20 transfercase. Could anyone please help. Thanks.
wylingford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If you are wanting an engine from that late of a year I will also assume you want a total switch to EFI. Using the EFI would be the best way to go with the AOD as the AOD was never made to be on a carb engine and takes a special linkage for the trottle valve cable that has to be adjusted just right or the trans will fail quickly. Lokar is the only one who makes these I think. You might just want to pull an engine/tranny combo out of an F-150 4wd to get the AOD you want plus it will have heavier duty bands and bearings that a car tranny would. Use the upper and lower intake from a car application to get the hood clearance you will need for a stock Bronco hood. You may also need other swap items which I am sure the people at Jeff's Bronco Graveyard will have along with answers to questions.
Arleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

why, the AOD is junk, plus it will need to be for a 4x4 which makes it a bigger piece of junk, the 302 is a good idea but I'd stick with a 4 speed.
erland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

too much trouble, first thing you have to change is carburetor for shift rod
charly is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs