What should i get for my first car ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-23-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What should i get for my first car ?

I'm 19 years old. I'm planning on buying my first car. I've been thinking about what my first car would be.

What kind of car should I get ?

I like :

Ford Mustang (1964 - 1968 / 1999 - 2004)
Chevy Impala (1960's)
VW Beetle (The classic ones)
Pontiac GTO (60's)
Chevy Pick Up (50's)

imported_travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

mustang, insurance isnt so so expensive.
hastiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #3

2004 Ford Mustang
Faing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

i would suggest a chevy cavalier. they can be bought for alot less money than a comparable import. the older model cavalier are easy to work on, with a little mechanical knowledge you can keep these cars running a long time. look for a 2.2L engine, they are a strong little engine, in the sense that if you take care of them they will last almost forever. i have a 1991 cavalier from down south. its a very clean car with no rust. 140K on the odometer and it runs great. this car has never left me in a bind and i one year of ownership i have only had to replace the alternator(original was getting noisy), did a tune up(maintenance- wires and plugs only), oil changes, and a trans/engine mount(easy to replace, rubber on old unit was worn). so in a year i have spent less than $200 in repairs total. anyone that says older cars arent reliable is full of it. if you know how to do your own repairs its a whole lot less expensive and every bit as reliable. parts are cheaper and the don't have the expensive electronic nonsense that newer cars have. look for a tbi engine, they are cheap and simple to repair. my wife also have a 1998 cavalier and its reliable as well but its more complex to repair. i would perfer to work on my 91. in many states older model cars are also emissions exempt. i would also suggest only buying southern cars, just make sure your not getting a flood car. northern cars are beat to death from all of the salt. also get your car rust proofed every year and wash it regularly in the winter. you have to work extra hard in the winter to keep a car from turning into a piece of trash.

my 1991 cavalier gets an epa estimated 22city, 29 highway which is excellent even by todays standards.
beamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

hey a honda civic, reliable, affordable. gas savers. just all around great cars. go look at the new coops. they have some really nice ones.
iddig17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Mustang the best
bizahalani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

none of the above fits you kid. first of all, old cars are not dependable, second, mustang is not the type of cars for first car. get a collora or a focus if you like Americans
jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Unless you have a good job or rich parents, I wouldnt buy any of those, now a days you have to thing about gas mileage, gas will be going back up in price soon enough, and when you have to spend 100 dollars a week it kinda sucks trust me
stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:56 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Get a car with an airbag - it could save your life. Forget the old cars - your best choice for the ones you listed would be the 2004 Mustang. That's my vote - from a mom of teen drivers .
luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Ford Mustang
eljin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs