Million Dollar Question (Read Carefully)? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Million Dollar Question (Read Carefully)?

There is a federal challenge to California's prop 8 making its way through the courts.

This article:
http://cbs13.com/politics/gay.marria...2.1021042.html
claims:
at the U.S. Supreme court,
“a favorable ruling would allow gays and lesbians to get married in every state,”
just as the court's 1967 ruling in a Virginia case outlawed prohibitions on interracial marriage…..which legalized interracial marriage across the nation.

Is that claim true, false, or unknown?

The impact it would have is:

A. The article’s claim is correct.
Favorable ruling at SCOTUS = Gay marriage nationwide

B. It wouldn’t open the door to legalizing gay marriage.
All it would do is close the door to banning it.
All it would do is strike down every state constitutional ban on it.

C. Depends on what grounds the court bases its decision and how broad its holding is.

Which is it? A? B? or C?
birkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

C.

That is assuming the Supreme Court even agrees to hear the case. Since it involves a state constitution it is quite likely the SC will keep out.
greid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

More than likely the Supreme Court won't take it...because Marriage is not something that is given to the Federal Government to control...it is the States that issue Marriage Licenses, not the Fed...so the 10th Amendment will apply...no where in the Articles 1,2, or 3 (nor in any Amendments) of the Constitution does it say the Fed has the right to marry people...and the Supreme Court has to uphold the Constitution...the gay pipe dream will be foiled once again...the 10th Amendment applies and if a State has already Amended their Constitution there is nothing the Fed can do...
fitzsimons85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that it's very unusual for the Supreme Court to issue a broad definitive ruling.

Most often they issue a very limited decision relevant only to that specific case.

Too many times I've been hopeful of a sweeping SC decision one way or another and find out they basically punted on the important issue and ruled the case based on some technicality or something entirely different.
breandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It's true meaning, should they overturn the proposition is that states rights have been diminished, just as our personal freedoms are being sqashed by the courts and Congress...the people of California have voted their intentions. Scotus no longer interprets the Constitution, but, legislates, as do most other courts these days. COngress is an absolute disaster and is the primary cause of the national difficulties right now. They have continually stolen our personal rights with unconstitutional bills, such as "hate crimes", and other equally foolish, Marxist legislation.
josilyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I dont understand it.You get married to procreate and have a family.Not for obtuse Sexual urges.Maby a agreement for insurance and financial reasons would be ok I GUESS>yuck.
fahyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

C

Simliar to the 2000 election, the SCOTUS can put in limiting language so the ruling cannot be applied to any other cases. (Or they don't have to, it is up to them)
searbhreathach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

why is this a issue again in calif? the voters decided twice! why are they wasting money to force an opinion down one's throat, it is a lifestyle choice! DO NOT IMPOSE on people.

I hope they vote like last time.NO!
meturato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 02:39 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

C.
coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

great question.
i would think it would be B. that option sounds like the feds will pretty much wash their hands in the matter.
personally, i wish the states would just let whoever wants to get "joined" do so, mostly because i am tired of hearing about it and more pressing issues seem to be at hand right now. i really don't care who anyone wants to do. but i must say i understand those who believe that "marriage" should be reserved for oneman/one woman. i don't understand what the big deal is for gays to be joined by a civil union if they are afforded all the legal rights that would give. i also understand gays' standpoint. it is certainly a divisive issue. which is why it continues to be fought for and against.
JMO
berkeley is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs