What little things can i add to add performance to my 1967 289 mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

What little things can i add to add performance to my 1967 289 mustang?

i have a 1967 289 mustang and i am looking for things that i can add to it that will add performance, like HP and torque and just all around power. you know SPEED and POWER. i just need to know some little things (or big). i have dual flowmaster exhaust on it, a set of hooker comp headers, and a K&N air filter. so any ideas???
teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If you have a motor that has 10 to 1 compression and stock heads then that is the ammount of HP you are going to get. I know dummies back in the day that used to have 70's
camaro's and with junk 350's and thought if they put dual four barrel carbs and intake on it, they could get to 400hp. Not the case. If you have 200hp heads most likely you will get 200hp. If you have 250hp heads you will get 250hp, so forth and so on. You have to step several things up to achieve HP. Compression, air flow, and valve timing via the cam. You can sit a 55 gallon barrel of gas on top of your engine and have it dump a gallon a second into it, and still not do anything but dump gas out the tail pipe...
I will say, if you haven't already, change your distributer. If you still have the old points distributer you can change it to new electronic timing modes with boosted firing power for about the same you would spend for a carb. Needless to say points need to be changed and adjusted seeming like every 6 months, what a pain...
Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

A Holley 750 cfm double pump carb along with professional tuning.
donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

If you really want your mustang to get up and go then you need to put some new champion spark plugs in. it will make it sound alot better and faster.
eljin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you have the bucks, a 347 crate motor from Fordracing will drop in. You also need to upgrade your suspension, brakes and structure (roll cage).
fnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

What kind of gears in the rear? What is the trans? The rear end gears will give you the most off the line for the $ spent, in my opinion. Don't forget to beef up the motor mounts and u-joints too.
cedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

depending on how much money you want to spend Eldabrock has some cam and intake kits you can buy.but you need to check it out. sometimes you don't get a lot of horse power for the money. check summit or jegs .
corcoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

The most and easiest "get up and go" you can buy is a change of rear end gears.If the car still has it's original gears in it they are probably 2.75 or 3.00 ratio.You'll do much better with a 3.25 or 3.50 gear set.They are easy to put in and you'll think you've got a new engine.It's the best way to get what you want.But remember the lower gears like 3.25 and 3.50 will use more gas unless you have a modern overdrive tranny in the car.You can check what gears you have on the drivers door warranty plate it will show a code.You can check any book on Mustangs or the Mustang Club online to figure out the code and what gears came in the car originally.If the warranty plate is gone or you don't have the original drivers door you can always get under the car and check the rear end yourself. There should be a metal tag on one of the bolts which hold the gears in place,these face the driveshaft. It will have the gear ratio stamped on it's bottom line,look close they are usually covered with grease and dirt and can be hard to spot.
emrys27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:04 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well does your car have a two or four bbl carb?
I would step up to a new carb first. Holly has a good right out of the box carb. A 650 cfm street advenger. Very eazy to replace.
I would not go much bigger than that. at least till you change your cam
Tons of things you can do just depends on how much you would like to spend.
gabrio is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs