Why buy new Challenger when you can get a classic one? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Why buy new Challenger when you can get a classic one?

It bugs me when people say things like "it's a modern muscle car with classic power and modern technology". That's complete BS and so stupid!! A 1970-1974 Challenger has so much of a cool factor and a real muscle feel. It's a fun car right, so why does it have to have modern technology?

The bare bones simplicity is what makes muscle cars cool, not plastic parts, oversized poorly styled and cheap rims, a robotic dashboard, and an EFI Hemi that you can't work on yourself at all. You will get 1/10 the amount of attention with a new Challenger then an old one. Why fix it if it isn't broken? By purchasing new Challengers, Mustangs, and Camaros instead of cool cars, you are proving to the big 3 that their sad nostalgic marketing tactics are actually working.

How can you think that some cheaply manufactured '09 Challenger with low profile tires and crap is cool. I'm seeing tuners, pimped cars, and modern muscle cars being mixed before my eyes and I feel like I'm the only one that cares.
JosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. I love/miss the simple yet powerful classic masterpieces from back in the day. The new remakes are tacky plastic and fiberglass disasters, and for the $40k+ they are charging for them, I could buy a classic and rebuild it to its original glory for half of that. And I would have a stronger, solid, and more beautiful car.
Renfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I agree, my classic MOPAR has more hp that an original 426 hemi and weighs 900 pounds less than the new Challenger and is WAY faster.... unfortunately my gas mileage is way less! Who cares about gas mileage, its great fun to drive and gets thumbs up every place I drive!
lleweliyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I think it has to do with having 400 hp and still getting above 15mpg.
artzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i have to agree with you,the older ones are much more simple ,and more raw horse power and easier to build, the problem with most of the older ones is their restored cars and do not have the body on them they once had,my neighbor owns one that he bought back in 71 and it has the big block 440 in it,and its not restored,still all original,and in really good shape,and its twice the car the 08 model he has is,the only problem with the older one is he,s kind of afraid to drive it much now because if someone hits it its going to be hard to find original parts for,i have drove both his the new and the old,and to me i wouldn't trade 1 original one for 5 new ones,he was offered 65 thousand for his and wont take it,and he doesn't like the new one as much as he thought he would,technology isn't hat great when it comes to muscle cars these days,good luck.
rosswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

The new "muscle cars" are not really muscle cars at all. They lack all of what made muscle cars fun. Putting a precision tuned, computerized everything V8 in a car, then slapping in artificial, plastic, sterile visual designs does not a muscle car make.

They are cool for what they are, I'll give them that. I like the cars as far as modern cars go, and I'm glad they still do make cars with some balls. They're just not muscle cars. They're a neat throwback to muscle cars, but they shouldn't be thought of as any more than that.

Unfortunately, a lot of people (myself included) wouldn't have the know-how, money or time to spend actually tuning a real muscle car, as much as I'd like to.
law64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs