Swapping transmissions in 1972 Ford Maverick (200 cid)? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2010, 03:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Swapping transmissions in 1972 Ford Maverick (200 cid)?

I was wondering if anyone could give me a parts list of items needed to swap my automatic 3 speed transmission with a toploader 4 speed?

It is a 200 cid engine (great on gas) and I have the toploader, out of a 1967 Cougar with a 302.

Sorry for being so out of the loop...I recently purchased the Maverick because I am in love with old cars, but would love it even more with a clutch!

Thanks guys!
curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

you are going to need a lot of parts, starting with the bell housing. for your engine you can two different bell housings, the 67-79 bell housing which has the proper pattern to both bolt to your engine, and allows the trans to bolt up. the other bell housing you can use is the 66 and earlier bell housing, but you need a 2.77 to 3.03 adapter.

you need the clutch, flywheel, clutch linkage, clutch pedal, shifter,pilot bushing, and a few sundry items i cant think of right now. most of these parts are easy to find, others are difficult at best. when you get a flywheel you will want the flat flywheel not the one that has a recess built in as finding the clutch disc and pressure plate for the larger clutch are easier to find.

edit: you can not use the bell housing or the flywheel from a 250 as they will NOT fit the 200. two good sources of information are the falcon six cylinder performance handbook available from www.classicinlines.com and amazon.com, and the forums at www.fordsix.com

if/when you decide to hot rod your six, definitely check out the forums at www.fordsix.com we even have a section devoted to mavericks.
botulf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

please tell me you are putting the 302 w/ the 4speed other wise don't bother, i had a 73mach1 w/351cj w/the top loader, im sure the bottom transmission mount should you match up very easily! fords were very cheap w/ their parts, most everything is compatible on 65-73 mustangs even though it went through four different body styles most of the undercarriage was interchangeable
caius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It might bolt right in, but you'll have to check things like clutch splines and if You want a bigger clutch you'll have to find a bigger flywheel..

then there's the regular stuff like peddles, throwout bearing, clutch fork, linkage and bell crank.

try finding a bellhousing and flywheel from a 250, I hear they are the same as the 302..

If your looking for better gas mileage, forget the 4 speed and do a T-5 swap or AOD ,
fairlay is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs