Classic mustang - problem starting? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Classic mustang - problem starting?

Hello, I recently bought a 1972 Mustang coupe with a 351 cleveland V8 2bbl (new engine, 80,000 miles on it). It drives fine, the only thing is it has trouble starting in cold weather. I do body/interior work, but I know very little about engines. I drive the car on average once a day. I talked to my mechanic, he told me how to start it properly (don't keep pumping the gas, you'll just flood the carbuerator). Plus I just got a new ignition, with the battery churning out 14.7. Alternator is fine, the car starts good in some weather, but why does it struggle in the cold?
annawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Sticky choke. My '71 had the same problem, I had to take the choke spring mechanism apart every six months or so (daily driver) to keep it working. My problem was the piston in the choke housing started sticking and needed a squirt of carb cleaner to free it up.

Take your air cleaner off and pump the pedel once. You should observe the choke plate closing. At the same time you should see a cam on the butterfly plate shaft engage the choke idle setting screw for higher RPM with running cold. If you don't see this, you need to get in an clean the choke spring assembly.
akins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like the choke isn'tworking. Take the air cleaner off and see if it's closed when the engine is cold. I havea 68 chevelle and you need to pump it about 3 or 4 times to start it.
kent12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2010, 12:04 AM   #4

It sounds like the choke on the carb isn't closing, you do pump it once before you try starting it right?
Dace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i have a 61 ranchero and it had the same problem. mine had a 6cyl engine in it but they all use the same basic theory. a friend of mine told me if you keep pressing down on the gas you would flood it and if you did to hold the pedal on the floor to get it to start. you get the air flowing and you level out the air to fuel ratio. it fired up every time for me. i also had a choke problem which it sounds like you do too. i was able to just let it warm up for a few minutes and it would run fine. if this car is a daily driver you should have the choke fixed though.
lise is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs