Is a classic mustang convertible a good starter car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-08-2010, 04:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Is a classic mustang convertible a good starter car?

i'm gonna turn 16 soon and i was wondering if a mustang convertible is a good choice for a starter car. I was planning on getting one from the 1965 to the 1980. i live in nc so would the weather be good enough? Is it going to be safe enough?? please answer
beagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

your first car should be a beater and not a classic. Odds are it will get wrecked in the first 2 years and you'll feel really bad if you wreck your classic. 80's and 90's Mustangs make excellent beaters because parts are cheap..

check out this sad story..
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicmustang/
Barnhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The first car I could call my own was a 68 Mustang. While it did need some work here or there, it was a great daily driver. I think a classic mustang would be just fine for a first car, but like the other's have said, you'll need to be somewhat mechanically inclined, know someone mechanically inclined, or at least willing to learn if you don't have the money to take it to a shop. Classic cars are very easy to work on because they are simple. Plus it's a great head-turner! Go for what you want, and if you don't like it or don't want it later you can always sell it. Someone out there will buy a classic mustang running or not!
ccri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 06:41 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Look any and every car can break down . Every car needs it's maintenance done on it. Every car needs something fixed on if you don't take care of it. Now a 65 mustang will most likely still be driveable after a acedent and the 90's car will most likely be totaled. due to the fact that cars back then were 100% metal. You don't need a mechanic in your house hold so you can own a 65 mustang. If that were the case no one would buy cars . Not every human being knows how to fix a car. and yet their all around us. If something dose happen to break you can take to a local mechanic and it's alot cheaper than takeing a 90's car to a technician.
hartford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I drove a 66 Mustang as a daily driver for about 10 years. They are great cars, but as several of the guys have pointed out you do need to know how to do routine maintenance or have someone that will do it for you. That aside, there are some other things you need to know. An early Mustang is loud. Very loud. There is very little insulation and even if you add more, it's still loud. When I drive mine on the freeway conversation is shouted. Also, they are not as easy to drive as modern cars. You have to get used to the old technology (or maybe I should say lack of technology).

Safety? Um . . . unless someone has added it, it's nonexistent. No 5 mile bumpers, no headrest, no airbags, no shoulder belts, no collapsible steering column. Want me to go on? Okay, you get the idea. Also in few have electric windows and not all have a/c although that's an easy add on.

It kind of comes down to how much inconvenience you're willing to put up with.

I also agree with SVOman. We've had several friends who have bought and restored/resto'd vintage Mustangs for their sons and all of them have wrecked the cars within the first two years. One of them within the first couple months. Very sad.
erland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

'fock' dosnt know anything. A car like that, despite its condition, is a car for the mechanically inclined. So if someone in your family is a mechanic, like your dad or uncle or something (someone near by) than go for it. Cars like that fall apart more than they "break". Oh, and a 65 is more reliable than 'fock's late 90s mustang.
macdhubh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

If you get a classic mustang, you will need to learn how to do routine maintenance like adjust the points. It is easy and only takes a minute. It is a simple vehicle to work on and they are reliable. I have owned a few old mustangs and enjoyed them.
They are big heavy cars and are fairly safe.
lleweliyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang is a great starter car, but unless you have deep pockets, and/or serious wrenching skills or have long term classic restoration in mind I really recommend you reconsider and buy as late a model as budget permits.
zachary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Get a used car, but nothing THAT used. It'll be problem after problem after problem since its sooooo old. you'll put WAY too much money into it. My first car was a 98 mustang. Loved it to death, and it was the perfect 1st car. Get something at least from the 90s.
meinyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It's a good starter car. easy to fix, no computer crap, easy to maintain as long as you have someone who has some mechanical skills around. As far as safety goes, it's no Volvo. It will be a fun car to say you had it as your first.
curr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

no D: sorry. i love them dearly but for a first car, not at all. start at 1994 with ANY car really, just for the age of the car's sake, regardless of what make/model it is.
twrgadarn8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs