My dad has a 1964 Ford Galaxie he recently purchased. I have a question about the engine.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

My dad has a 1964 Ford Galaxie he recently purchased. I have a question about the engine.?

The car does not have it's original engine. The man who sold the car to him said the engine is a 427 out of a Mustang. But my dad thinks it's a 460. We can't find the serial number on the block to tell for sure. We want to know where to locate the numbers. We want to restore the car. Thanks.
pryderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

My dad has a 1964 Ford Galaxie he recently purchased. I have a question about the engine.?

a 427 and 460 are easy to tell apart, but the 427, 390 and 352 all look alike, with narrow heads, wide intake and 5 bolt valve covers...

where as the 429/460 have wide heads, narrow intake, and 7 bolt valve covers.

427's never really came in Mustangs, just special ordered Shelbys, from 68 to 70 you could get a 390 or 428, and from 70 -73 a 429, but no 460 was ever offered in a Mustang..

only the Shelbys had serial numbered blocks, all the Mustangs just have casting codes and restorers use these date codes to determine if it's original to the car, so they can be replaced, but have to match the casting code date and line..
1965-1970 Mustang Codes
Code 64-1/2 65 66 67 68 69 70 -A Raven Raven Raven Raven Raven Raven Raven Black ... Transmission Codes ... Engine Codes ...
http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topic...de/decode.html

Decoding Ford casting part numbers
Ford and Mustang Intake manifold. 4V, 2x4v, 3x2v, Ford Mustang Mercury Tunderbird Galaxie Torino Fairlane Cougar Eliminator Boss Cobra Jet Tunderbolt and Shelby.
http://www.mustangtek.com/FordDecode.html

Guide to Decoding Ford Part Numbers - ClassicMustang.com
Those are those big long codes (C7ZZ-6540544-DR, etc) that ... Many Mustang parts were originally designed for the Falcon and carry a Falcon casting number. ...
http://www.classicmustang.com/decoding_part_numbers.htm
The Mustang Shop - How to read Ford casting numbers
TMS - The Mustang Shop! Parts, performance, restoration, service, information ... Casting numbers are those big long codes (C7ZZ-7528-H etc) that you will find on ...
http://www.themustangshop.com/castingnum.cfm
xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:36 PM   #3

If you want to restore the car, then it is not really important to know the serial number since the engine already is without one. However, it may not be a good idea to have an engine without a serial number as it may pose difficulites later with parts and service since the engine does not belong in the car.
Aulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Look on the front of the block.
sowingwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

if i could give svo man a ba-gillion points i would, thats a damn good answer!!!
Derby is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs