64, Mustang Fuel / Carb Problem? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

64, Mustang Fuel / Carb Problem?

I have a 1964 , Mustang with a 260 V8, with a 2100, 2 barrel carb. Just ran into an issue where the carb does not seem to be getting fuel. I have checked and the fuel pump is working. I took the fuel line off the carb and it has pleanty of gas pumping, it just is not entering the carb. What is the cause of this and what is the fix?

The carb was completely rebuilt about 2 years ago.

I am not a mechanic; I am a parts changer and weekend warrior when it comes to working on cars.

Any detailed help would be much appreciated.
dubv12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Bartz is right, your needle valve is stuck. It's happened to me more than once with rubber tipped needles. I've replaced them with metal tipped needles or, in the case of my SU's, Groose valves using balls instead of needles.

You need to pop the top off. No problems there, just unscrew the top screws and the lid will come right off. You can replace it easily without affecting your carb adjustments. Check that your float works and the needle valve moves freely.
adir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The needle is stuck in the seat. The needle is operated by the float. Remove the top of the carb, and replace the needle and seat. Also make sure the feed is clear between the seat and the supply line. Either a very small wire or air pressure for this.
hamdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

on that 2bbl the fuel inlet is a filter , change the filter and see if you get flow. if not unscrew the top plate of carb and spray out with carb clean. if it were me id get a holley 2bbl for it. even a parts changer could rebuild it ....very user friendly
garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

buy a can of carb and choke cleaner, attach the provided red tube and spray it into the fuel intake to clear any blockage. It is designed to do stuff like this and won't harm you engine.
ruhleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

There maybe a filter in the inlet of the carburetor that is plugged.
Or there could be a cobweb from some insect that is blocking the idle circuit of the carburetor.
These are not hard to work on, just get a digital camera and take pictures as you work. A carb over haul kit is not that expensive.
Make sure you have a place to work that will let you find the small parts that fall to the floor.
botulf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

a carbuerator has a float bowl and a float in the bowl. Its kinda like a toilet. Dont laugh,,, its true.
Look at the water tank in your toilet. It has a float ball. When the water is flushed the ball drops,,,,water comes in,,,the ball starts to rise,,when the tank is full the ball shuts off the water. Same thing in a carbuerator.
I think the float ball is stuck in the ''up'' position and wont let the gas in. Try tapping on the carbuerator,,,it may make the ball drop and let the gas in.
But you are still going to have to take it apart again.
pacho is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs