Getting rid of car rust.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #1

Getting rid of car rust.?

I am buying a 1965 Mustang, and the problem is...it's got some rust in spots (no cancer) and it's under the paint...my question is very simple, ABOUT how much would this cost to have done? All I want is a ballpark answer, I realize it depends on the shape of the car, I would say it's got 3 or 4 bad rust areas, and the rest is minor surface rust...is what I am looking to have done is EXACTLY this...http://www.maaco.com/auto-body-rust-through.aspx ...and I am curious if I can get this done for say...$1000, or less? Thanks, and once again I am only looking for a ballpark guess, I know it'll have to be looked at to actually know for sure, I just want to know if it's worth my time =)
Garwyli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Body work is the biggest expence on a classic car unless you have the experiance
to be able to do it your self, Mustangs you have got to really check out the known areas'
front valance headlight areas,rocker panels,sills, inner sills,rear upper trunk behind bumper
then special check at all suspension mounts and floor panels.inside upper trunk by rear windscreen
go back get some one that knows,take a flash light,and inspect all these areas
if there is body repairs and rust in these areas,leave this car go buy a better one
they are not rare, theres is plenty out there,some mustangs with bad rust can cost from $7000
to $12000 just for the body not alloying for paint,if it costs more than that its not worth buying.
Bearach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #3

if its under the paint on a sheet metal area it is from poor prep work when it was painted, a lot depends on the color of the car and if after prepping the rust spots they can match the color. a light colored car does not show up near as much as a dark colored car when having to clean up lazy peoples mess. If the paint itself is in good condition and the car does not need repainting but only sections Im thinking 600 to a 1000 sounds about right.
harry92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

3-4 bad rust areas... cut them out.. find a donor car if the rust is on a seam or bend.. not all rust will be on a flat area that you can just patch with flat plate..

cut out the donor section... weld it in place.. grind it back smooth...

etch prime// fill sand .. repaint..

could cost $1000 for just one repair.. depending how big it is & where on the car it is..

go to automotive repairer/ spray painter.. they should be able to give you an approximate cost from Photographs you take of the problem areas...
imported_darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

depending where the rust spots are.. it might be cheaper to get reproduction panels. fixing the rust should be less than a thousand but a re spray is gonna cost at least that or more
kevyn99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs