Is a 1972 mustang a good first car? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Is a 1972 mustang a good first car?

im 15 getting a new car and wanted to get a 1972 mustang convertible how does this car handle in the weather and how fast can it go k hahaha thats it thanks
esra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

No, they're nice/cool cars, but for a newbie driver the cons outweigh the pros about 10/1 at least.

I mean on the one hand it would be tough as hell and initially it would be cheap.....but downside specific parts for it can be a nightmare/impossible to find.
(although they are starting to reproduce some parts for them)

Also on the downside the 71-73's are the biggest mustangs ever
(they're bigger/longer than the current model by at least a foot)

And driving wise, while the 351C does have decent power (w/ a few upgrades) however visibility-wise they suck (especially the hardtops). Mainly because you cannot see a damn thing out the back window since it's angled at about 14 degrees and, in both the hardtop and convertible you sit REALLY low down in the car....I mean you are just above eye level w/ the top of the dash, so while you would have better rear visibility than the hardtop (w/ the top down) again, no good.

Plus they're of course not very fuel efficient (especially w/ the original engines) they were built in a time that didn't have 87 octane and cars got nowhere near the modern average MPG, so you would need to run premium fuel and fill up way too often.

Also if you had anything below a 351 they might be a bit sluggish (especially considering the engines got weaker ever year) since they are so big/heavy....and also because of that and bad visibility on top of the size, forget being able to park in tight spaces too.

So really to answer your queston again....NO.....like all mustangs in general they are NOT good first cars...but this gen ESPECIALLY is a bad choice for a greenhorn or anybody that doesn't know how to handle a car properly

A 71-73 convertible would make a good weekend/fun car if you and your dad want a project car....(like mine was) it would be a cool car to have

but as a daily driver FOR ANYONE it would make absolutely no logical sense
pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well, I would liked that as a first car, but I would very scared to drive it because if I wreck it, there might not be anymore 1972 mustangs just like that one. It would be a good project car, like me and my dad got a 1970 Chevy chevelle, and worked on it, now we take it to the world of wheels show every year, and alot of people like it. But I would not get a 72 mustang for a daily driver at all, just a "show car" and bragging rights.
rosiyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 03:51 PM   #4

Oh man, the 72' convertible is AMAZING, it feels great to drive at all speeds and it handles great.

Although I would recommend driving like a normal person since a car that looks that good will attract a lot of attention :s
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1972 mustang